Using Dummy Cakes

Decorating By j1handal Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm by j1handal

j1handal Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 7

I need help with using my first dummy cake. I am using a mirror base for a 2 tier cake. The bottom tier is a dummy cake. Im a worried the cake is not going to stay in place on top of the mirror. Will a layer of Royal frosting in between the mirror and dummy cake be strong enough to prevent it from sliding? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6 replies
moralna Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 7

The RI might be good, that is what I use when attaching a dummy cake to a board but on the other hand, I am not sure how well it will stay on a mirror piece. You could try Krazy Glue.

Rylan Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 7

I usually use a glue gun when attaching it on boards.

kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 7

I have often made dummy cakes but never put them on a mirror. Still I think just a nice sized blob of b'cream icing in the center will do nicely. That';s all I've ever done.

sweet_honesty Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 7

I've done cakes on mirrors but never a dummy. Usually a smear of royal keeps mine firmly planted.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 7

Piping gel could be a good glue as well.

j1handal Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for the tips using the dummy cake. I decided to not use the mirror after all. I did not want to take the chance of the cake sliding and I did not want to ruin the mirror. I did however use hot glue and it worked perfect. I delivered the cake this morning and they loved it. Thanks for all the great suggestions. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%