Help Please?

Decorating By guayabita Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm by pumpkinroses

guayabita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
guayabita Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 5

I'm so new at this...
I have baked many cakes for family and friends.. I have never really charged anything for the cakes.. There is this person that heard about my cakes and asked me for one... she asked for just any cake, so she could try them.. she asked me for a 20.00 cake.... Cakes are expensive..I mean, at least the recipe I really like is expensive... I really want to eventually start a business... So I made a round 6" and 3" tall ... but it looks so small... I still have not decorated it... It's for tomorrow.. I don't know what to do.. I don't know if I should make a bigger one or not...The cake is not the tyoe of cake that I would divide into layers and fill because it is so moist, I add a syrup to it once is made.. and If I do divide it into layers, so it looks taller, then I can't add the syrup.... also...What if I do a bigger one, and then they always ask me for a 20.00 cake? As it is, I am already not really making much earnings from it... think I need a cheaper recipe??.. help me please, suggestions? I'm all stressed out
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

4 replies
Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 5

Well, your first mistake, was to not explain to the customer the size of cake she was going to get before baking it. I've never heard of a customer asking for a certain $$$ priced cake and then not knowing what size of cake they are getting. The first thing you need to know about running your own business is that it is your job to educate the public on what you get for so much money. You don't walk into a fast food place and ask for a $4.00 hamburger and just blindly take what they give you, not knowing what you are getting. You should be knowing ahead of time what you are getting. You have to establish some base prices from the get go, so you won't get flustered and all worked up and stressed out in the beginning. We all go through this in the beginning. I can tell you are already worried that she is gonna freak because the cake is too small for the price you have asked, but you have to stand firm with your prices. If you give away the farm with your cakes, you will build that reputation and have no business at all. You will have no profit to be made and you will resent every order you get in the future. It can be very hard in the beginning to establish your prices and get going, but it does get easier. Just give it time. I think $20 is fair for a 6" x 3" cake...with simple decorations....and that would be in a rural area.....do not make her a bigger cake.....I am confused though.....why is it that you can't split it into two layers if it's a 3" tall cake???

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 5

Mmm . . . I always use a wash (syrup/moistening liquid) on each cake layer, and I torte everything.

PS Are you sure it's legal for you to sell cakes where you are located?

Most businesses set their prices before they start selling. And if you accept money for cake, you're a business.

guayabita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
guayabita Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 5

I know.. everything you are saying is corect.. I did not actually get the order myself, someone who knows someone told my husband and they just asked him for a 20.00 cake, so they can taste it.... Believe me, it won't happen again... The cake is 3' inches tall... but this recipe is very moist because of a syrup that I add to it after it's done.. I was told that this type of cake should not be divided into layers...I'm learning.. I'm still learning... this has been my hobby, but I love it so much... thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 5

If she is just asked for one so she could taste you cakes, then the size you made should be fine. IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%