[B]I Have Never Made Royal Icing Before[/b]

Baking By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 9:42pm by TexasSugar

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 4

I have never used RI before...I am making a fairly simple wedding cake but I have never made flowers (drop flowers) out of RI. Is there a certain consistency I need to achieve? What should it look like? How long does it tak the flowers to dry? And if I color the flowers with Ameri-color gels do I need to add that as part of my liquid? I am going to use the wilton's recipe with the merguine powder. Sorry for all the questions..it's just that I want to make sure I get this right! I would really appreicate any help![/b]

3 replies
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 4

You want a medium icing. Something that you can easily pipe with but also holds it shape. It is kind of hard to describe that in words.

When you first make royal it reminds me of toothpaste. It is sticky and thick. After it sits it looks more like marshmallow fluff, but you just stir it well and it gets creamy again.

Small flowers should only take about 6-8 hours but I would give them them over night to be sure.

When I color it I don't count the coloring in with the liquid, because chances are you will have to adjust it anyway. If I was going with a really dark, deep color that was going to take alot of icing gel then I'd go a little shy on the water, but for most colors you won't need to make any adjustments.

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 4

Thank You so much! I will let you how it turns out! I wasn't sure about the drying time ...I will let them sit for a day or 2. Thank you, Thank You, Thank You!

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 4

When they are dry they will easily pop off the wax paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%