New Scam Plus My Quality Response

Business By costumeczar Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 2:33pm by step0nmi

costumeczar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 11

I've received this one before, but I enjoyed writing the response to it so much I htought I'd share it.

Here's the scam email:

Subject: CAKE DECORATION CLASSES:::::::::::::::
To:
Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 12:36 PM

Hello,
How are you doing today ? My name is Miky Fare I want to book for Cake Decorating Classes with you while on a 2weeks holidays in your country.We are a group of 10 people seeking for Cake Decorating training while on holidays and as part of our plans we need Cake Decorating classes/private lessons.

We shall be needing a Cake Decorating classes for the whole 3weeks in your area.
I would like to book for 2weeks classes for 3 hours each day Monday to Saturday (morning hours) for a group of 10. We are asking for 3 hours per day for 3 weeks - Monday - Saturday. A total of 36 hrs
Do you have a training facility where you conduct classes? We can arrange for this,if not available. Do you have rooms or is there any hotel close to your facility?
DATE: 7THAUGUST2010 TO 21AUGUST2010
I would love to know the possibility of working with you during this period.Kindly get back to me with your proposals so that we can make booking asap.
The group would be performing for a group of family members over there. I would love to get the total cost or a quote/estimate. What are your payment options? Do you accept credit cards? I would be grateful if you will be willing to do the work to teach quality classes and make us happy
Regards
MIKY FARE

My response:
Hi, Miky,

That would be $36,000, $1000 for each of 36 peoples for performing for quality classes of the cake decorating style. I accept only cash, no credit cards, money order, or other fake documentation of payment options. You can make the payment options to be arranged for your momma's house and the "that's what she said" school of quality cake decorationing.

10 replies
sweetflowers Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 11

I got that email today too...I like your response!

JulieMN Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 11

Love it!

iamcakin Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 11

Lovin' your response!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

anasazi17 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 11

Great Response! LOL

_christina_ Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:24am
post #6 of 11

Love the response! And how many errors (going from 2 to 3 weeks can they make?)

But I do have a question...what is this scam trying to get from you? I don't understand. Or is it some kind of phishing expedition?

step0nmi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:40am
post #7 of 11

that is a FUNNY response icon_lol.gif

but aren't they trying to get you to respond to that to for information? just curious

Bfisher2 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:20am
post #8 of 11

icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:43am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

but aren't they trying to get you to respond to that to for information? just curious

They want you to respond saying oh yes, I can give you lessons. Then they send you payment, which is either stolen credit cards numbers or a fake check, and usually for more than the amount you tell them it will cost. They ask you to return part of it to them, or to pay their shipping company in some scams. In this one I bet they'd probably send you too much money, then ask you to pay someone like a limo company that they've hired. The company doesn't exist, it's just someone who is working with them. They take the money that you paid them, then by the time you find out that their payment is no good they've disappeared, and you're out the money that you paid them.

Usually you shouldn't answer these guys, because they're also looking for live email addresses that they can sell to other scammers, but my email is plastered all over the internet on my website and other links, so it's obviously a live address. I have some fun answering them every now and then. There's a website dedicated to people who mess with scammers, and they post the email exchanges for everyone's amusement...I forget what the link is, but it's funny how long you can keep these guys on the hook if you want to. Just never take any money from them, and don't give them any personal information.

JaeRodriguez Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 11

Costumeczar I love that website icon_twisted.gif especially after I have tried to find rental houses on Craigslist and I have answered some of them only to receive an email back- "We my wife and I would have like to have someone to care for and love on our house for approximately 5 years is the shortest least we can have our house needs love from a very special person" BLAH BLAH send us the money blah.

icon_evil.gif I want to punch them in the face. And the worst part is I can spot the email from a mile away but the Craigslist posts (most of the time) seem legit! Waste my time and get my hopes up. GRRRRR.

step0nmi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 11

GOTCHA! thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

They want you to respond saying oh yes, I can give you lessons. Then they send you payment, which is either stolen credit cards numbers or a fake check, and usually for more than the amount you tell them it will cost. They ask you to return part of it to them, or to pay their shipping company in some scams. In this one I bet they'd probably send you too much money, then ask you to pay someone like a limo company that they've hired. The company doesn't exist, it's just someone who is working with them. They take the money that you paid them, then by the time you find out that their payment is no good they've disappeared, and you're out the money that you paid them.

Usually you shouldn't answer these guys, because they're also looking for live email addresses that they can sell to other scammers, but my email is plastered all over the internet on my website and other links, so it's obviously a live address. I have some fun answering them every now and then. There's a website dedicated to people who mess with scammers, and they post the email exchanges for everyone's amusement...I forget what the link is, but it's funny how long you can keep these guys on the hook if you want to. Just never take any money from them, and don't give them any personal information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%