The "i Hate My Job!" Rant -

Lounge By cattycornercakes Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm by JulieMN

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 17

So I'm not having a great day icon_sad.gif I'm an administrative assistant and there is a big meeting in my office today. I left my house very early to pick up breakfast on the way in to get everything set up before it started at 8:30. I ordered an orange juice "tote" to go with the pastries. I wait for 10 mins as the girl runs around trying to find a "tote" and then the liner...then she has trouble getting the orange juice out of the gallon container into the "tote" with a funnel. Honestly I would have been happy to just take the gallon container. So I rush in the office and set up breakfast. I finally sign into my computer to see 4 emails from everyone wanting stuff printed for the meeting. Did I mention I'm the ONLY admin now? There used to be FIVE of us. Oh...and they laid off our facilities person so I'm doing that too. So I print, get set up, help one boss put his presentation on a memory stick (oh..I have FIVE bosses too btw). They finally go in the meeting. So I leave to go buy soda for lunch. I run around the store and drag 6 12 packs in. Then they come out for break. This one needs that printed, that one wants his boarding pass printed, etc. Then another group in the office needed lunch ordered...put the order in. The order shows up 15 mins early and they complain that their food is going to be cold. I say...we have microwaves. So then my food shows up for my big meeting. They didn't cut the sub rolls so I have to use a sharp knife...not made for cutting bread...and try not to stab myself as I cut the bread. Then I realize they didn't bring any condiments for the sandwiches. Then, as I'm trying to peel the tape off of a container of house dressing, my thumb goes through the styrofoam and house dressing goes all down the front of my top and pants. So I sit here now smelling like bacon ranch dressing. icon_cry.gif

I just want to quit...and bake cakes. Is that so wrong??

Sorry for the rant...but thanks for "listening." icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
cattycornercakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 17

OH! And I forgot to mention all of the mooches coming out of the woodwork looking for free food leftover from the breakfast and lunch for this meeting!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 17

No offense, but this story is exactly why I gave up being an admin a long time ago.

I feel your pain.

cattycornercakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 17

No offense taken! I really hate this part of my job argh!

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 17

You deserve a good rant after this day! Hope the rest of your week goes better!

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 17

I'm with ya Catty!! I also used to be an admin - I kinda liked it though. Quit to try and start my own thing with medical transcription which I've been doing for 10 years now. I managed to pay the mortgage and take care of 3 kids doing that and I'm lucky to have been able to stay home with them and make $$ (deadbeat dads, ya know). Anyhoo, good thing I started dating and remarried cuz no way I'd make enough $$ to pay the bills now. I too just so want to MAKE CAKE!!! (well, actually just decorate - I'm not that into the baking part)!

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 17

I meant to say I HATE MY JOB TOO!

sweettoothbre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothbre Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 17

I too wish I could do cakes as my job. Until I can do that much later down the road I have been looking for administrative work....I cant find a job at all! icon_cry.gif

gypsei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gypsei Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 17

I work at B&N, usually in the cafe. 4 days out of the week there is only one person closing the cafe. And the morning shift has to do their job in the cafe AND unpack and put out magazines. I usually close the cafe because my manager is nice enough to understand that I am NOT a morning person. icon_smile.gif Well...since the morning shift has mags to do, that leaves one person pretty much for that shift too. And because of that, I've been left with ALL of the chores before. ALL of the dishes, trash, and restocking of paper goods. Yeah, try helping customers, keep the pastry case stocked, get morning and closing dishes done and keep the seating area clean too all by yourself. I run around like a chicken with my head cut off sometimes. It's gotten a little better though. At least the mornign shift has that second person to call on to help them out, so they should have most of the stuff caught up before they leave. I do have some sympathy though. None of us have it too easy. So...I feel ya.

rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 17

Yeah you had a bad day, but do you really HATE your job?

As a recent college grad who cannot find a job, I can't stand hearing about people who "hate" their jobs. With so many people getting laid off these days, it would be nice to see people appreciate the fact that they are employed.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 17

I understand. Some days at my job I swear I want to run away and not go back. Those are the days I have to go home and do stress baking. The people I work with have no idea that the cakes and cookies keep them from working with a raving lunatic.
Hope your day gets better. Sending you daydreams of cakes.

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushing

Yeah you had a bad day, but do you really HATE your job?

As a recent college grad who cannot find a job, I can't stand hearing about people who "hate" their jobs. With so many people getting laid off these days, it would be nice to see people appreciate the fact that they are employed.

While I understand your feelings you need to understand that appreciating being employed and hating your job are not mutually exclusive. The OP is probably glad to be getting a paycheck, but that does not mean they have to be gleeful about having a unfulfilling job.

Simply because you are glad to be employed does not mean you have to like you job. And yes in this economy there are probably plenty of people who hate their jobs which is magnified by a feeling of having to stay in those jobs because there is not something out there that is better.

cattycornercakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks for the comments guys icon_smile.gif

To you guys that are looking for jobs or don't have jobs, you are right. I should be thankful that I have a job and I can pay the bills. And I am thankful that I do have a job and I do like (most) of the people I work with...its just days like this that make you wanna scream! But I certainly don't envy those of you that are looking for jobs and I certainly wish all of you luck in finding something.

I know none of us have it easy...so feel free to joint my rant!

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #14 of 17

I think there's something to be said for people who think their admins should be printing their boarding pass and jumping through all sorts of random hoops for them. I used to be an admin in our office and am now a manager and I would never even conceive of having our admin print anything for me. Of for that matter, do anything that I could do myself! People just get entitled and they think they can treat other people like crap.

And you can't run around just being grateful you have a job. That's like saying "Well my husband's cheating on me, my kid is in jail and i just filed for bankruptcy, BUT I'm breathing!" A basic level of respect needs to be given to any employee and salary isn't the only motivator for most people.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6

I think there's something to be said for people who think their admins should be printing their boarding pass and jumping through all sorts of random hoops for them. I used to be an admin in our office and am now a manager and I would never even conceive of having our admin print anything for me. Of for that matter, do anything that I could do myself! People just get entitled and they think they can treat other people like crap.

And you can't run around just being grateful you have a job. That's like saying "Well my husband's cheating on me, my kid is in jail and i just filed for bankruptcy, BUT I'm breathing!" A basic level of respect needs to be given to any employee and salary isn't the only motivator for most people.

Amen sister!

To the recent college grad who posted she should at least be appreciated that she has a job. Come back and tell us more when you have about 10 years of experience in the real world and you can relate. I have three kids just like this and I am sorry to say you have no clue right now. I have heard this before. I wish I had a recorder to play what my kids said then and what they are saying now. All three are college graduates (well one is almost - junior in college now). My middle son is actually going back for his masters in law. He hated is job and no "appreciation" for having a job was going to make him keep doing what he hated. How do you think career changes happen anyway? Give it time and one day it will dawn on you and you will then be able to empathize with the OP.

My hubby, being married to a ex-admin, is absolutely the best boss to have. He does not treat his admin like the "office wife" ("office wife" meaning we did everything the wife did except no s*x. With some of the bosses I had I think I got the better deal!).

cattycornercakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:30pm
post #16 of 17

I think the hard thing to deal with is that they just don't seem to get that I'm ONE person. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to pick up breakfast, set it up and print presentations all at the same time! And they are the ones that laid all the other admins off. We haven't had raises in 3 years and, when they lay someone off (like the facilities coordinator), you end up with their work.

So...I'd rather be baking and decorating cakes! Although I must say, after some of the forum topics the past few weeks, I'm not sure customers are any easier to deal with! icon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprof

While I understand your feelings you need to understand that appreciating being employed and hating your job are not mutually exclusive. The OP is probably glad to be getting a paycheck, but that does not mean they have to be gleeful about having a unfulfilling job.

Simply because you are glad to be employed does not mean you have to like you job. And yes in this economy there are probably plenty of people who hate their jobs which is magnified by a feeling of having to stay in those jobs because there is not something out there that is better.

Absolutely!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%