Best Edible Printer???

Decorating By cakediva38 Updated 1 Dec 2017 , 2:05pm by icingimages

cakediva38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva38 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 97

I am looking into buying a edible printer, any suggestions or tips on buying one??

96 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 97

I have a Canon IP 3600 and I really like it.It is quite a popular model and affordable.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #3 of 97

I have been selling edible printers for 11 years now. I have high expectations as I have to stand behind what I sell and honestly, I dont want to come to work everyday fixing problems, I beleive in selling reliable products. So, here is my 2 cents...more like $2!!! First, you want to be able to print once per week. This eleviates 99% of possible problems. You can print on regular paper using edible ink, so I recommend printing out a coupon once per week if you are not printing images and give the coupon to your next customer. This way you are promoting your product and eventually you will not need to do that! Printers: Canon vs. Epson, I use both. I prefer Canon, and only use the Epson for wide format printing. Canon's wide formats are finicky and not worth the hastle. So, after we came out with our Canon Gold label Ink Cartridges, we found that they were so superior over previous inks that we tried an Epson version. I did try many different Epson models and came back to the Epson Workforce 1100 only for wide format printing. If you do not need to print the large 11x16" than go with the Canon IP3600 or Canon MP560. Both are superior to the Epsons. The Canon has the removable printhead which is critical for long term printing. The printhead can be removed, cleaned and replaced if needed. With epsons, if you get a clog and you cannot get it out, you are out the printer. Inks: Our latest version of inks and cartridges, the Gold Label Series is amazing. The cartridges are made of food grade plastics and there is no sponge which allows you to use every bit of ink that is in your cartridge. Plus if you plan to refill, there is no sponge to harbor bacteria. Refilling is easy. It is done right in the printer! The colors are absolutely beautiful as well. Papers: There are three types of icing sheets. Lucks, which everyone is familiar with as they are the ones that edible images are printed on. Icing Images House Brand which is similiar to the KK brand, and that is the thinnest out there and Icing Images Premium Brand which is the most durable brand and has the largest printable area. Oh, it comes in chocolate too! Companys: When choosing an edible printing company, it is best to go by recommendations and also call them and talk to them. How knowledgable and helpful are they. Remember this is who you call or email if you have questions. How fast do they ship? Are they friendly? I think I went over my $2 limit and I apologize for my long windedness. I hope this is helpful to you and if you have any questions, please feel free to call or PM me or visit the Icing Images forum.
Remember printing images is just like printing regular pictures. It is easy and is only limited by your abilities. Do not be afraid of it, dive in and dont look back, its a blast!

icingimages Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 97

I have been selling edible printers for 11 years now. I have high expectations as I have to stand behind what I sell and honestly, I dont want to come to work everyday fixing problems, I beleive in selling reliable products. So, here is my 2 cents...more like $2!!! First, you want to be able to print once per week. This eleviates 99% of possible problems. You can print on regular paper using edible ink, so I recommend printing out a coupon once per week if you are not printing images and give the coupon to your next customer. This way you are promoting your product and eventually you will not need to do that! Printers: Canon vs. Epson, I use both. I prefer Canon, and only use the Epson for wide format printing. Canon's wide formats are finicky and not worth the hastle. So, after we came out with our Canon Gold label Ink Cartridges, we found that they were so superior over previous inks that we tried an Epson version. I did try many different Epson models and came back to the Epson Workforce 1100 only for wide format printing. If you do not need to print the large 11x16" than go with the Canon IP3600 or Canon MP560. Both are superior to the Epsons. The Canon has the removable printhead which is critical for long term printing. The printhead can be removed, cleaned and replaced if needed. With epsons, if you get a clog and you cannot get it out, you are out the printer. Inks: Our latest version of inks and cartridges, the Gold Label Series is amazing. The cartridges are made of food grade plastics and there is no sponge which allows you to use every bit of ink that is in your cartridge. Plus if you plan to refill, there is no sponge to harbor bacteria. Refilling is easy. It is done right in the printer! The colors are absolutely beautiful as well. Papers: There are three types of icing sheets. Lucks, which everyone is familiar with as they are the ones that edible images are printed on. Icing Images House Brand which is similiar to the KK brand, and that is the thinnest out there and Icing Images Premium Brand which is the most durable brand and has the largest printable area. Oh, it comes in chocolate too! Companys: When choosing an edible printing company, it is best to go by recommendations and also call them and talk to them. How knowledgable and helpful are they. Remember this is who you call or email if you have questions. How fast do they ship? Are they friendly? I think I went over my $2 limit and I apologize for my long windedness. I hope this is helpful to you and if you have any questions, please feel free to call or PM me or visit the Icing Images forum.
Remember printing images is just like printing regular pictures. It is easy and is only limited by your abilities. Do not be afraid of it, dive in and dont look back, its a blast!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:35am
post #5 of 97

Thanks for posting this question, 1Joshua2. I really appreciate your response, Debbie. I purchased an Epson Workforce 30 and I've had issues with it but it is probably because I haven't been using it weekly. Is there a way to get the ink cartridges to begin working when you've not used the printer for a few weeks? I've tried cleaning the cartridges and the area where they mount in the printer but am still having issues.

cakediva38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva38 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 97

Thanks so much for all the replies!!! And thank you icing images for all of the info, I really appreciate it!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 97

I have had my Canon edible image printer, who I bought thru Photofrost. I have not had any problems with it, in the 5 years I have it. I run it once in awhile if I am not using it, to make sure the ink doesn't get dry out or just to keep working some. Again I have had great luck with my Canon and love all the things I can do with the edible images sheets and how creative it lets me be. Plus like the poster says, costumer service, someone who knows about the machine and icing sheets is a must and a big help. I hope this helps, Happy Cake Decorating

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

Thanks for posting this question, 1Joshua2. I really appreciate your response, Debbie. I purchased an Epson Workforce 30 and I've had issues with it but it is probably because I haven't been using it weekly. Is there a way to get the ink cartridges to begin working when you've not used the printer for a few weeks? I've tried cleaning the cartridges and the area where they mount in the printer but am still having issues.

Have you ran the clean print head function on your printer software? It uses up a lot ink but seems to work pretty well on mine.
I print something on my epson once a week to keep it from clogging up. Just put a piece of paper in it and print something.

icingimages Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

Since you cant take the printhead out on the Epson, it makes it a little challenging. you do not want to run too many deep cleanings as it chews up the inks that are using. I recommend no more than two deep cleanings. But the best thing to do is put regular paper in it and print several colorful pictures to see if you can pull the ink through that way. Sorry I dont have more advice for you than that. I have tried more invasive ways but I killed the printer!

TickeyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickeyT Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 97

I was looking into purchasing a printer and I think I am heading in the right direction now!!

FrostedWithEmotion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedWithEmotion Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 97

Hello,

Looking to buy a printer pronto have any of these printers been upgraded?

icingimages Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 97

Canon mg5320 is the latest but we have not tested it. I wouldstickwith the canon mg5220

FrostedWithEmotion Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 12:32am
post #13 of 97

Debbie, thanks for your reply. Is this a good one and do you know where I can buy edible inks locally. I need to use it for a charity event on thursday so I'm kinda in a rush to get some things printed.

icingimages Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 2:07am
post #14 of 97

We can ship to you, we are a one or two day ship to you.

FrostedWithEmotion Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 2:28am
post #15 of 97

how much is the ink for that printer? I found the printer to be pretty cheap online/store.

Thesweettalk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thesweettalk Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 97

Hi Debbie

I m looking to buy a good quality edible printer. Have any new ones come in the market that are better than the 2 Canons you mentioned? Also which sheets are better. I have seen some cakes with a paper like look. It doesn't look like the sheet dissolved on to the cake. Other cakes look flawless. How do I get the right sheets. The inks too, sometimes they taste bitter (like food coloring) and on other cakes they taste great. So what kind of ink tastes good and looks vibrant? Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions but there is so much information out there and I wasn't sure which source was reliable.

Thanks in advance for your help icon_smile.gif
Rakhi

icingimages Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 4:51pm
post #17 of 97

Hi There
The Canons that I would recommend are the Canon MG5320 and the ip3600
The MG 5320 is my favored printer, but both produce excellent quality.
Paper, we sell three brands and the favorite by far is our Premium. It features edge to edge printing, it tastes good and is the flexible icing sheet. If you email [email protected] they can send you a sample. It also comes in colors for electronic cutting and we have a new Pearl Luster Sheet for printing and cutting. IT is absolutely beautiful and flys off our shelves!
Inks do differ. If you can taste the ink then you are putting too much on the page and your settings are off. No one has ever told us that the Icing Images inks taste funny. Our cartridges are different then other brands. They do not have a sponge inside the cartridge. We found that we get almost twice as many prints as the sponged cartridges which makes a big difference on the wallet.
While I am the owner of the company, and yes, I am biased, but I am the person in the company who is constantly testing my inks as well as competitors. I can tell you that our products were used by Marsha and Roland Winbeckler on the ICES Show cake.
I will be glad to answer any questions for you honestly and will take as many questions for you as you need.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 5:08pm
post #18 of 97

I recommend Icing Images as far as Edible Printers. Debbie the owner , is a real business lady and will give you top customer service. I have really loved using my machine which I got from Icing Images and have done some amazing works with it. Also Debbie has some incredible amazing top artist who work with her, so therefore you can get all your questions answered on any topic concerning Edible Images for your cake and cookies and etc., needs. I really love her products and Icing Images business savy.

icingimages Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 6:16pm
post #19 of 97

Thank you Lisa for all your kind words!

Thesweettalk Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 4:51pm
post #20 of 97

Thanks Debbie for all the info icon_smile.gif and for responding so quickly. I think I am going to go with the MG5320.

Rakhi

icingimages Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 6:40pm
post #21 of 97

Good Choice!
Check out iiDesigns on our website....it is really a wonderful tool for decorating cakes!!!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 6:37pm
post #22 of 97

Hi Debbie
I recently just purchased a canon mg5320 and am wondering if you could tell me what's the best settings to use for printing, I have it set to plain paper. My problem is everything is coming out just a tad darker than the original images. I did manage to lighten and brighten a little this morning by using auto corrections in office before printing I also have it set to borderless printing.
Thanks in advance

Louise

Thesweettalk Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 4:22pm
post #23 of 97

Hi Debbie

I bought the MG5320. I also bought the premium icing sheets from your website. But i am having trouble with the prints.

1. I see parallel wheel marks on the printout. As if the rollers are digging into the sheet. Could it be that the premium sheets are too thick for this machine?

2. Also there is a lot of shadowing. Like overlapping of color. if i have a pink color and black in the picture. the black gets transferred over to the pink. and it looks dull and dirty.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks icon_smile.gif
Rakhi

icingimages Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 4:38pm
post #24 of 97

Hi!
Yes I do know what is wrong, your settings are incorrect! They are set up too high and the color is getting transferred. For easy reference if you go on our website and sign in to your account, you will have access to our support section which has everything you want and more! But my first guess is that you have the paper settings and print quality incorrectly set. Also, you probably do not have the paper abrasion feature set. FOr complete instructions you can go to our website as listed above, but for quick answer, change your paper type to Matte and your print quality should be at standard. Go in to your maintenance sections and the last button is custom settings. There you will find a selection for paper abrasion. You want that selected. That should take care of all your problems!

Thesweettalk Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 4:17pm
post #25 of 97

Thanks Debbie. The shadowing is totally gone icon_biggrin.gif the wheel marks are lighter but much better. Still troubleshooting. But now its way better. icon_smile.gif

thanks
Rakhi

icingimages Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 4:20pm
post #26 of 97

That is great to hear. You may have a build up of ink on your rollers because you have had the wrong settings. If you look back in to the trouble shooting section, we have a document on cleaning the rollers. Or..try drying out your rollers using a can of air spraying directly on the rollers where the paper comes out of the printer (both inside and outside of the printer). Or just try running paper through by going to word, typing in any word and printing out a bunch of sheets to allow the paper to clean out any wet ink on the rollers. Keep in touch!

Amycakes12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amycakes12 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:53am
post #27 of 97

A

Original message sent by icingimages

Hi There

The Canons that I would recommend are the Canon MG5320 and the ip3600

The MG 5320 is my favored printer, but both produce excellent quality.

Paper, we sell three brands and the favorite by far is our Premium. It features edge to edge printing, it tastes good and is the flexible icing sheet. If you email [email protected] they can send you a sample. It also comes in colors for electronic cutting and we have a new Pearl Luster Sheet for printing and cutting. IT is absolutely beautiful and flys off our shelves!

Inks do differ. If you can taste the ink then you are putting too much on the page and your settings are off. No one has ever told us that the Icing Images inks taste funny. Our cartridges are different then other brands. They do not have a sponge inside the cartridge. We found that we get almost twice as many prints as the sponged cartridges which makes a big difference on the wallet.

While I am the owner of the company, and yes, I am biased, but I am the person in the company who is constantly testing my inks as well as competitors. I can tell you that our products were used by Marsha and Roland Winbeckler on the ICES Show cake.

I will be glad to answer any questions for you honestly and will take as many questions for you as you need.

Debbie you sound simply AMAZING!! We have one cake supply store locally that I've been purchasing from and I LOVE the owners, hate the one full time help! So rude to my kids and I that I now am looking into buying an edible ink printer. I've contemplated this for months as I've only been doing cakes about a year but recently started full timing it! I am so impressed with your knowledge, referrals, and willingness to help I wish I could afford to purchase my printer direct from you, but sadly I simply cannot afford to

ellenmm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellenmm Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:39pm
post #28 of 97

I'm looking into buying an edible printer for my daughter for Christmas. It's been on her list for a few years, as she decorates cakes.

I called both Canon and Epson was told they do not make edible printers, nor do they make edible inks. I'm guessing that you are using their standard business/home office printers, and using inks created by other manufacturers--is this the case? Does using these inks violate the warranty on the printers you recommend? Since ink cartridges are very specific to the printer that uses them (different printers use different ink cartridges) they must be refilled manually, is this the case? Since you can't wash printers what sort of hygiene issues are there?

Isabella Davies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isabella Davies Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 12:07pm
post #29 of 97

The best one on the market right now, is the Canon MG5350 - Scan-Copy-Print, tried and tested by us and all our customers. 

@Ellenmm, its a standard printer where the ink cartridges are removed and replaced with edible ink.

When your printer is bought from a cake decorating company, only edible inks are supplied.

These edible inks are not re-fillable, you will need to buy a full set of edible inks once they are finished.

Your warranty is for the printer you buy from the company, once you put a set of normal ink cartridges, then your warranty becomes void.

We have a printer start up package which includes the Printer, Kosher edible inks and Pack of 25 A4 Edible Icing sheets.

icingimages Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:53pm
post #30 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellenmm 

I'm looking into buying an edible printer for my daughter for Christmas. It's been on her list for a few years, as she decorates cakes.

I called both Canon and Epson was told they do not make edible printers, nor do they make edible inks. I'm guessing that you are using their standard business/home office printers, and using inks created by other manufacturers--is this the case? Does using these inks violate the warranty on the printers you recommend? Since ink cartridges are very specific to the printer that uses them (different printers use different ink cartridges) they must be refilled manually, is this the case? Since you can't wash printers what sort of hygiene issues are there?

Hi Ellenmm

Canon and Epson do not sell an "edible printer" directly, you have to either purchase the printer on your own that is compatible and add the edible supplies or you purchase from an edible printing company.  But before we go there, I want to be sure that your daughter will be using the printer regularly.  Regularly means once every week to two weeks.  If not, it is not a wise purchase for her. Printers must be used regularly in order to be worth while.  Edible printing supply companies create an edible package which includes the edible ink, paper and printer, and a warranty which will vary by company.  The edible printing supply companies will offer different services.  For example, some companies will only service the printers they sell, other companies like ours we help anyone.  We don't care where you bought your printer, however, we cannot pay for what may be the problem if it isn't under our warranty. But you better believe we will try to help you the best we can.  Refilling varies by manufacturer and is not full proof with any companies.  Some companies allow for refilling directly in the printer, like ours, and others you have to remove the cartridge for refilling.  Using edible inks does not legally void the warranty by the original manufacturer, but they like to make you think so. Either way, it makes service difficult when you do have a problem.  These edible printers are a standard in the industry in commercial bakeries as well as home based cottage businesses and are generally accepted as not having hygiene issues unless you use them with non edible inks. I hope this is helpful and will be glad to assist you in any way I can. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%