Sugar Free Cookies

Baking By gacandle Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 3:55am by retaunton

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 12

my dad is newly diabetic and he has always loved cookies and sweets! but now he needs to be very careful about what he eats i would love to get some recipes for cookies that are sugar free or at least very low in sugar so i can make him some. thanks for the help

11 replies
CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 12

I am still developing a lot of my recipes, so I don't have a sugar free one yet, but I'll give you a bump to the top. Hopefully someone who does will see your post!

And you might want to post this in the recipe section - maybe someone there can help?

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 12

While my father (who is also diabetic) was here for Thanksgiving, I made him a cake using the new Pillsbury Sugar Free cake mix and tub frosting. It was shockingly good! I can't stand the aftertaste you get from artificial sweeteners so I was skeptical...but, pleasantly surprised that this mix didn't have that. Have you heard of cake mix cookies? I remember having them as a kid and I've seen recipes for them lately and I am going to try making those with the sugar free cake mix for him for Christmas. Not sure if this was the kind of cookie you were thinking of...but, I thought I'd mention it. Good luck! Oh...I found the mixes and frosting at Walmart.

Deb

KrisCraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisCraft Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:11am
post #4 of 12

I hope you get an answer. I need a good one too! I tried my usual Wilton Sugar cookie recipe and substituted Splenda granulated (supposed to measure and bake cup for cup the same,) in place of sugar and it was horrible, dry and inedible.

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:22am
post #5 of 12

My mother is diabetic and I have insulin resistance. I've tried the sugar free cake mixes and icing. I get HORRIBLE stomach pains from them. They contain sugar alcohols. You really have to be careful. I haven't come across a sugar free cookie recipe yet. I'll do some searching and let you know if I find any.

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianne65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianne65 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:06am
post #7 of 12

Check out the Splenda website they really have some good recipes there. I do a lot of sugar free and gluten free baking. Hersheys makes sugar free chocolate chips and I follow their recipe on the bag and they come out great. I also make the cake mix cookies with the Pillsbury sugar free and/or reduced sugar cake mixes and they are fine. Sometimes I will replace the Splenda with a few tablespoons of sugar and that helps with the after taste. Just because they are sugar free, they still have to be eaten in moderation.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:12am
post #8 of 12

dianne65, where do you find the Hershey's sugar free chocolate chips?

Thanks,
Deb

dianne65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianne65 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:28am
post #9 of 12

At Save Mart and Albertsons grocery stores

Mary0321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mary0321 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 12

You can add splenda.. low sugar choc chips... but they are full of malitol and if you eat a few you get gas.
The FLOUR... that is the biggest source of carbs in any recipe... you can't really make anything that calls for cups of flour .. low sugar. Flour =carbs=increased blood sugar.
You can lower the effect.. but you can't make them OK. They will still have to have one. My husband is type 1 . I do what I can.. splenda, sugar free chips.. sugar free cake mixes... but they are still full of carbs.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 12

I have a good peanut butter cookie that is flourless.. I read on allrecipes that someone tried this same recipe with splenda with success. I have only used real sugar so can not tell from my experience with splenda

1 18oz. jar peanut butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:55am
post #12 of 12

On the flourless peanut butter cookies, they are drier with the Splenda versus the sugar. Speaking as a diabetic you have to have things in moderation. My philosophy is this: If I want it I have it, but plan accordingly. If I know dessert is going to be offered, I watch what I eat at the meal, have a bite or two of the dessert then leave it. Being diabetic you have to watch carbs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%