How To Make Gum Paste Roses Look More Realistic?

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm by artscallion

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 9

I have been looking at pictures of gumpaste roses and I have realized that my roses do not look all that realistic. I plan on making a cake for a contest and I want the roses to look as realistic as possible. Does anyone have any good tutorials/tips? I want to make roses that look like this:

http://bogotablogger.com/wp-content/uploads/circus-rose.jpg

8 replies
Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 9

beautiful rose! I would start will pale lemon gum paste to make the petals, then when they are dry and you have assembled your rose, get a large soft sable-hair brush and some petal dust - blood orange is a lovely colour, and carefully dust the outer edges and the centre of the rose bud. You can steam the rose gently to set the dust colours, then re-dust to make them look velvety. You need to be sparing with the dusts though...once on, it won't come off. HTH

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with Moondance for the colors. Start with a yellow base and then brush the tips red.

As far as actually making the rose, I don't use cutters. I think it is the reason many gumpaste roses don't look real. It was very intimidating at first, but I actually found it to be easier.

This is the youtube video I learned from:

My tips:
- Make sure all the petals are not the same size, and that the petal sizes get larger as you move away from the center.
- Curl over the edges so the flower look like they are opening, but do this randomly - if you make it look too even, it won't look real.
- Get the edges of each petal as thin as possible.

I bought a really pretty fake rose from Michaels, studied it, and tried to replicate it. I also took a fresh rose from a bouquet my boyfriend gave me and took it apart petal by petal to see exactly how it went together. I know it is pretty obsessive/crazy, but it really helped to see one close up.

pag41989 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much for the vidoe tutorial! What about that huge lump at the bottom of the rose when they are done? Do I cut it off or shape it somehow? Also, can I insert a wire into it? There are going to be a ton of roses on this cake and I don't want them falling off icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 9

To make the middle of the rose, roll a small ball of gumpaste and then lengthen one end into a cone. Bend a hook into a length of sturdy floral wire, moisten the hook and then insert it into the gumpaste cone. Let it dry overnight or until it's completely dry.

I looked at the rose in your photos. You need to make the center tighter. The gumpaste cone will help with that.

You shouldn't end up with a lump on the bottom if you're making it on wire. It's easier to make them on wire at least at first.

Also, try making them in a single color and see if it looks more like a rose to you icon_biggrin.gif It's hard to get an idea of how it looks when it's so colorful.

pag41989 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the tip. The picture that I have posted of the rainbow rose does use a rose cone with wire inserted but I was wondering how I would go about inserting a wire in the rose in the video tutorial that was posted.

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 9

Right before the last rose of rose petals, I pinch off the hunk at the bottom and form it into a ball shape and then I put the last row of roses on, making sure not to leave any excess at the bottom of the petal.

When I do roses like the one in the video, I usually do not use wires and just set them on the top of the cake. Or, once in a while i stick a toothpick into a piece of Styrofoam with plastic wrap over it and then push the rose on the toothpick to let it dry. If you want to use something technically edible, you could used dried spaghetti.

I imagine that after you make the center of the rose like in the video, you could push a wire with a loop of top into the rose and build the rose around it. I don't the wire would be secure enough if you inserted the wire after the rose is finished.

pag41989 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbabs

Right before the last rose of rose petals, I pinch off the hunk at the bottom and form it into a ball shape and then I put the last row of roses on, making sure not to leave any excess at the bottom of the petal.

When I do roses like the one in the video, I usually do not use wires and just set them on the top of the cake. Or, once in a while i stick a toothpick into a piece of Styrofoam with plastic wrap over it and then push the rose on the toothpick to let it dry. If you want to use something technically edible, you could used dried spaghetti.

I imagine that after you make the center of the rose like in the video, you could push a wire with a loop of top into the rose and build the rose around it. I don't the wire would be secure enough if you inserted the wire after the rose is finished.

Thanks for the info! It doesn't need to be edible and the contest is strictly for look only so I plan on making the decorations on a fondant covered cake dummy so I am not sure how spagetti would work. I will try out your suggestions and see if any of them work. I plan on making a new batch of fondant tomorrow because the batch I made last week has lumps in it. icon_sad.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 9

Tonedna, a member here, has a terrific 5 part video on roses. I learned using it and it was brilliant! These are the very first I made using her video. They're not perfect. But for the first time using her method, I think they look darn good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%