Party In Itself Cake

Decorating By McCakeski Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm by hollyml

McCakeski Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to make this cake for my daughters 3rd birthday party this Saturday.

I would like to do some things different; like no cookies. i would also like to make the cakes our of krispie treats and 'wrap' them. now my quesitons: should i use gum paste or fondant for the lettering, balloons and party hats? and what do i use to make them stick up (pretzel rods, uncooked spagetti, skewers)? n When should I make the letters, balloons, presents and party hats? I'm pretty new at this - and might have bitten off more than i can chew - but i'm having fun!!

2 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 3

Cute Idea icon_biggrin.gif I'd wrap the presents in fondant so it can be eaten. Gumpaste doesn't taste too good and dries very hard. If the decorations aren't going to be eaten, use gumpaste since it's more stable that fondant and use thin bamboo skewers - I think the spaghetti would be too fragile. You can make the gumpaste decorations as far in advance as you want, let them dry well and keep in a dust free place until ready to use.

You can make the decorations out of fondant as well, but it just doesn't harden as well unless you add tylose or gumtex to it and then it changes the flavor and dries too hard to eat anyway.

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

hollyml Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 3

Fondant cutouts should work find for the letters, because you can stick them on the sides of the tiers -- they don't need to be self-supporting.

And I would use fondant as the "gift wrap" too, because the kids will want to eat them.

For the balloons and hats, you can use all fondant if you have at least several days to let them dry -- otherwise they won't be firm enough to stand up. Given that the party is Saturday, you might or might not have enough time if you made the cutouts today. So it's probably a good idea to mix in some gumpaste or Tylose/Gum-Tex, which will make them harder, and less appealing to eat, but they will still technically be edible. icon_smile.gif

I'd probably use lollipop or popsicle sticks instead of skewers. They're sturdier and the fondant will stick to them better. Pretzel rods might work if you are a purist about everything being edible.

You know, you could also use candy melts for all of the decorations, if that appeals to you more than gumpaste/ would probably look a bit more like the cookies in the original design.

Go ahead and make all of the decorations now, or as soon as you can. They will keep fine until you assemble the cake on Friday, and it's better to give them plenty of time to dry/harden.

Quote by @%username% on %date%