Caramel Smbc

Baking By Jayde Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 12:44am by Jayde

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 11

I need to make a caramel SMBC.

So, not having much experience with SMBC, could someone wiser in the ways of SMBC kindly give some advice?

Is it just as easy as making the SMBC and then folding in some homemade caramel sauce to it?

10 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 11

Perhaps, if the caramel sauce is very thick. My first try would be to make it with brown sugar instead of white.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 11

Perhaps, if the caramel sauce is very thick. My first try would be to make it with brown sugar instead of white.

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 11

I've done it a couple different ways but my favorite is just to start with a basic SMBC. Then I make a dry caramel (you can start with a wet) and get to the color I like (I like a nice red-amber color) and pour in a bit of heavy cream to make it thicker and creamier. I wait until it's cool so it doesn't melt the SMBC and pour it in. I also like to do the same thing with dulce de leche. Even easier and tastes even better!

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 11

pretty much icon_smile.gif
you can even add the ready made caramel topping meant for ice cream.

my basic recipe (4 sticks butter/5 eggs whites/1 1/4 cups sugar/dash of salt) can take just a little over 1/4 cup flavoring.

you might want to try brown sugar smbc (straight substitution of brown for white sugar). it is absolutely delicious and has a light caramel flavor. this is my all-time favorite icing.

diane

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmertsock

I've done it a couple different ways but my favorite is just to start with a basic SMBC. Then I make a dry caramel (you can start with a wet) and get to the color I like (I like a nice red-amber color) and pour in a bit of heavy cream to make it thicker and creamier. I wait until it's cool so it doesn't melt the SMBC and pour it in. I also like to do the same thing with dulce de leche. Even easier and tastes even better!

\\

What is dry caramel?
Thanks.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

pretty much icon_smile.gif
you can even add the ready made caramel topping meant for ice cream.

my basic recipe (4 sticks butter/5 eggs whites/1 1/4 cups sugar/dash of salt) can take just a little over 1/4 cup flavoring.

you might want to try brown sugar smbc (straight substitution of brown for white sugar). it is absolutely delicious and has a light caramel flavor. this is my all-time favorite icing.

diane

Does this give SMBC a caramel flavor?

Intriguing. I'm going to try this next time I make SMBC.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 11

i think brown sugar smbc has a very light or subtle caramel taste (or at least that's how my taste buds perceive it, lol). it is very, very, very good and not overly sweet.
diane

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 11

Just a different opinion - I tried brown sugar SMBC and DH, my sister and I all hated it. I've loved every kind of SMBC I've ever tried, but we couldn't stand the brown sugar version. icon_smile.gif

Adding caramel sauce is what I plan to do next time I need a caramel buttercream.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:44am
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%