What Is Crumb Coating?

Decorating By bluerose26 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm by cattycornercakes

bluerose26 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

What do you use to crumb coat with b4 coating with buttercream?

What is your crumbcoat made out of?

6 replies
DeezTreatz Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 7
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 7

The same icing you ice your cake with. It is just spread on there in a thin layer with out worrying about getting crumbs in the icing, once set it should lock the crumbs in so that when you add the buttercream the crumbs don't come out to play.

metria Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 7

doesn't have to be pretty and perfect, it's just there to help lock in the crumbs
LL

kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 7

The link above is rather good infor but........I disagree w/some of the info icon_smile.gif Having over 30 yrs experience I think I can speak to this subject icon_smile.gif

Here is an easy way to crumb your cakes (also now often refered to as 'dirty icing' thanks to the tv show Cake Boss).
take about 1/3 cup of regular buttercream icing in a microwave safe cup/bowl. Add 2-3 drops of liquid and stir well. Micro-cook for NO MORE than 6-10 seconds. Most MW ovens these days have a glass/see thru door so watch the icing closely. Don't let it over heat - you just want to barely melt it. If it gets too hot or cools off too much it won't spread.
*Work very, very quickly* to spread it over and around the cake, making sure every tiny section of cake is covered. It dries almost instantly (no need to wait that 2 hrs mentioned in the link!) It will look much like a glazed donut. Once properly crumbed a cake will be fine at room temp for as much as 5-7 days. Of course, no one would do that but it will stay moist and fresh icon_smile.gif
Any leftover melted icing is NOT usable for anything icon_sad.gif Nor can it be remelted.

bluerose26 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 7

thanks for the good tips everyone

cattycornercakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 7

I like that tip, kakeladi! I'm going to have to try that on my next "crumby" cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%