Concerns About Cake Freshness!!!

Decorating By Yum2010 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm by Yum2010

Yum2010 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, to all you professionals out there, what I want to know is what is the earliest you have decorated a cake, or at least prepared a cake before pick up or delivery. I am way overbooked (MY BAD!!!) next week and I am trying to come up with some sort of game plan to be able to get all of my orders done. I have a day job and 2 kids to schedule around so I do most of my caking at night and very, VERY early in the morning. I don't know what do do because, realistically, I would probably need to start filling and and at least crumb coating some of these cakes on Tues!! (for fri pick up and to eat on sat). I do not use any perishable fillings. I know there like a GAZILLION threads on this topic, but seriously, I cannot find any of them by doing a search and quite frankly, I'm exhausted and stressed!!

So, what is the 'best practices' on this. I once was told a long time ago at a cake decorating class that a cake will stay fresh for 5 days at room temp as long as it is iced or sealed in some way and if it doesn't contain any perishable fillings. Please share if anyone has ever done a cake this early, and if so, how did you prep the cake before decorating. Thanks in advance to everyone!!

8 replies
yummy Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 9

You can always bake in advance and freeze. I do this sometimes up to 2 weeks before it's due but usually a week in advance.

I then make all deorations that need to harden a week in advance.

For a Sat. cake I take out the freezer on Wed. night and let thaw wrapped overnight. Make my fondant.

Thurs.. I make my buttercream and cut out my fondant decorations, torte cake (if that's what I'm doing for the cake) fill, wrapped overnight, cake needs to settle.

Fri. I crumbcoat, ice and decorate. Deliver on Sat.

SugarKissesCakery Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 9

I'm certainly no pro but I'll give my two cents anyway. I understand you are overbooked and very stressed but I feel icing a cake on Tuesday to eat on Saturday will compromise the freshness of the cake and icing. If you were paying for it, would you want to eat 4-5 day old cake? That doesn't take into consideration leftover cake which, if eaten, will push the week old mark. Yuck. Your customers are paying you for a quality product. My advice is to bake early, freeze, and pull a few all-nighters to get the cakes done. The earliest you should ice the cakes is Thursday, in my opinion. I would never sell anything I couldn't stand behind 100%. I wish you the best of luck and hope it all turns out for you icon_smile.gif

Yum2010 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks! Yes I totally agree with you SugarKissesCakery!! I usually follow the bake or thaw Wed night, ice thurs, decorate fri schedule. But, I guess I'm just overwhelmed. I will just try to to as much prep work as I can over the weekend like baking, freezing, making icing, wrapping boards, fondant decor, etc. Whew!! I'll probably need therapy after it all!

kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 9

Planning, organization, & more planning is all that is going to get you thru.
Do anything and everything you can ahead. Make decorations; make icing; make fondant; bake those cakes NOW and freeze them wrapped in plastic bags- yes a plastic bag will be enough since the time in the fzr is so short. Believe me, I've done it over and over icon_smile.gif You can even fill before freeezing. Crumb coat? Aaahhhhh-- won't hurt but then you need to UNcover those cakes while they thaw and wait for them to dry enough to ice.
As you and others have said, do as much as you can NOW and be as prepared as you possibly be.

Yum2010 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 9

So I can fill before freezing?! I've never tried this. If I do that and wrap in saran wrap or a plastic bag, do I thaw it the same way (out on the counter in the saran wrap)? Should I thaw before icing. I've heard some people ice a semi frozen cake. Never tried it myself just because I was always too nervous, but that would definately save on time as well.

kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, fill before fzing. Yes, thaw the same way. Yes, thaw before icing.
The only time I iced a fzn cake the icing fell off in sheets icon_sad.gif A sq cake and the whole side just fell off like one laying down a cut section icon_sad.gif
Thawing should'nt take that long - but depends on the size of the cake. Yes, filled tiers do take longer than just a single layer of cake and the closer to the c enter the more chance it might still be fzn but when you can feel the cake give when you gently touch it should be o.k. to ice.

carmijok Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Planning, organization, & more planning is all that is going to get you thru.
Do anything and everything you can ahead. Make decorations; make icing; make fondant; bake those cakes NOW and freeze them wrapped in plastic bags- yes a plastic bag will be enough since the time in the fzr is so short. Believe me, I've done it over and over icon_smile.gif You can even fill before freeezing. Crumb coat? Aaahhhhh-- won't hurt but then you need to UNcover those cakes while they thaw and wait for them to dry enough to ice.
As you and others have said, do as much as you can NOW and be as prepared as you possibly be.

I ice frozen cakes all the time. After crumb coating I put back in the refrigerator (not freezer) and it slowly thaws. I layer buttercream on and they are kept in the cooler. The bakery I worked for would bake on Tuesdays and freeze their cakes until time to start frosting. They would ice with buttercream and keep those cakes in the refrigerator until time to decorate and deliver (the same day). We used (and I use) real butter in my buttercream so it needs to be kept cold until time for delivery. Since most event cakes sit out for several hours, the cake comes to room temp and is very fresh and moist. Never a problem with decor, or bulging or melting.

Yum2010 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 9

Ok, so this is what I probably will do....Please chime in and tell my your thoughts about this "game plan". Take out of freezer Wed. evening. (cakes will be already filled). Crumb coat and put and fridge while frozen. Thurs. Morning: take out of fridge and ice, put back in fridge until decorating Thurs and friday. Anyone have any objections?? I have 5 cakes to decorate. All are highly decorated with alot of detail. Maybe I'll give this a "trial run" this week since I'm slow?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%