Can I Use This Frosting Under Fondant?

Decorating By cakeorate Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm by cakeorate

cakeorate Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 4

I am making my cousin's friend's wedding cake and she wants Bobby Flay's Red Velvet cake (same icing and everything).... but I'm just wondering if it's okay to use this icing under fondant? Does it need to be refrigerated? And how long can it stay fresh in room temperature?

Here is the recipe for Bobby Flay's icing...

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar

Combine the cream, milk, vanilla bean and seeds in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove the vanilla bean and discard. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened to a paste, about 2 minutes. Scrape into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until very cold, at least 2 hours.

Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until the mixture is very fluffy and the sugar is totally dissolved, about 6 minutes. Add the cold paste, a few tablespoons at a time to the butter mixture and whip until light and fluffy.

3 replies
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 4

Given the dairy to sugar ratio, I would not trust that one outside of refrigeration.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with leah_s. As far as using it under fondant...I'm not sure but I don't know that I would trust it.

cakeorate Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%