Ideas/suggestions For This Cake? (Picture Included)

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 9:54am by allaboutcakeuk

pag41989 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 2

I am entering a contest at the fair this year. I want to do a 3 tiered cake with flowers cascading down the side of the cake and I want to do something like this:

http://www.bridalguide.com/media/images/oldsite/july-aug-07/JulAug_Cake8.jpg

I want to make the flowers a little bit more fall colored (reds and oranges). I want to include some yellow roses with the red/burgundy tips since they are my favorite rose. Does anyone have any suggestions for coloring the roses etc. ? Since this is my first tiered cake I am feeling a little intimidated. I was also thinking about doing cake dummies (since it won't be tasted) where can I purchase these and can I use just plain round styrofoam from Michael's? I have never used dummies before so I am not quite sure what to do.

Also, would you recommend that I use petal dust or is it okay to use chalk (since its not being eaten)?

1 reply
allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:54am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pag41989

I am entering a contest at the fair this year. I want to do a 3 tiered cake with flowers cascading down the side of the cake and I want to do something like this:

http://www.bridalguide.com/media/images/oldsite/july-aug-07/JulAug_Cake8.jpg

I want to make the flowers a little bit more fall colored (reds and oranges). I want to include some yellow roses with the red/burgundy tips since they are my favorite rose. Does anyone have any suggestions for coloring the roses etc. ? Since this is my first tiered cake I am feeling a little intimidated. I was also thinking about doing cake dummies (since it won't be tasted) where can I purchase these and can I use just plain round styrofoam from Michael's? I have never used dummies before so I am not quite sure what to do.

Also, would you recommend that I use petal dust or is it okay to use chalk (since its not being eaten)?

Hi there
I would use flower paste (gum paste) obviously for making the roses and I use sugar flair colours to colour the paste. You can also buy flower paste ready coloured which does make life a little easier. Make the flowers in the base colour then buy some colour dusts sllightly darker than the colour of the flowers (I'm not sure what you mean by chalk for colour as I've never heard of it used) and dust the edges of the petals in a darker shade. The colour dusts give a deeper colour and then you can lightly steam the flowers over a boiling kettle. Only do it very quickly and be careful of the steam just gently pass them through the steam. This sets the dust colour and really brings out the colour of the petals.

Styrofoam dummies are fine for display cakes. Brush some water over the styrofoam so that the fondant will adhere to it and cover as you would a normal cake. Make sure that the fondant on all tiers is fully dry before you stack them as they will mark and dent when you stack if they are not dry. Fix each one together with a little RI.

hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%