I'm New And Have A Question About Gum Paste

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 2:24pm by TexasSugar

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone and good morning,
I am new here and I have a question about making gum paste. I have made gum paste once before with no problems and it came out smooth and dried perfectly. This time, when I made the gum paste and I began to roll it out, it had small bumps within the gum paste. I am not sure what I did wrong this time when I made it. The only thing I can think of that I did different was when I made the gum paste last time I forgot to add the egg white so I was wondering if maybe the egg white is what is making it lumpy when I roll it out?

2 replies
HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 3

I'm not sure of the recipe you use, but it could be several things. I use Nick Lodge's recipe usually. In my experience, the powdered sugar could have had lumps. I try to use a new bag or at least press the lumps from anything that is open. Also, you need to make sure you sprinkle the tylose (or whatever thickener you use) over the egg white/sugar mixture. Also, make sure your bag doesn't have any holes. I don't use zip top bags to hold the gumpaste. I use regular bags and press out all the air. Then I roll the excess top of the bag over the outside of the bag and then I place that inside another bag to keep out any air.
A little air can make a little edge a little too dry. When you go to use it, you end up kneading that little bit into your whole batch and get a mess of little hard bits in your batch. Annoying!!
HTH!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenSC

A little air can make a little edge a little too dry. When you go to use it, you end up kneading that little bit into your whole batch and get a mess of little hard bits in your batch. Annoying!!

This is what I am thinking. That there was some dried parts.

I always tell my students when using fondant or gumpaste, if you have hard bits, pull them off, they do not blend it, they will remain little hard bits.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%