If You Were Going Too...

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:41am
post #1 of 22

If you were going to turn this cake design into a 2 tier from a 3 tier which would you leave out? I really want to do the quilting so that one will stay for sure.

I will have pink gumpaste roses as the topper and on the side and it will be in white with white ribbon. It will be a very small cake, 6 and 8 inches.

TIA

21 replies
KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:48am
post #2 of 22

there's no pic

mindy1204 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 22
Elcee Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 22

If you're intent is to impress I would do the quilted tier and the scrollwork tier. If you're not sure you can it off then I'd suggest going for the dotted tier.

If it were me, if it was for myself I'd choose the do the scrollwork for the practice but I haven't perfected it enough to do for someone else.

mindy1204 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 22

The cake is for my husbands co workers who are getting married at the court house. They weren't going to have a cake and I offered to make it. The bride choose this cake but said I could decide which to leave off. I may try the scroll I have never done a cake with scroll work.

ycknits Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 22

I'd definitely leave out the bead-only top tier. It repeats the beads on the quilted tier but doesn't add anything otherwise. If you're worried about the scrolls, use an imprint and then pipe over it. You could also incorporate a few beads into the scroll work to tie the two layers together a bit. It's a gorgeous cake and not too complicated. You can do it!!

SISA Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 22

Ok...I am going to throw a wrench in everyone elses opinions and I say do the quilted tier and the beaded tier. I think the bead only tier ties into the the beads on the quilted tier. Just goes to show you everyone has an opinion..lol If you are decorating cakes you probably have an eye for what looks good and you should do whatever is speaking to you as far as design. Honestly, any combination will look nice so don't worry too much about it. Good Luck!!

mindy1204 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 22

I would like to use a stencil and pipe over it. Can I get those at Michaels or Joannes it is all that we have that is close by. Thank you!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SISA

Ok...I am going to throw a wrench in everyone elses opinions and I say do the quilted tier and the beaded tier. I think the bead only tier ties into the the beads on the quilted tier. Just goes to show you everyone has an opinion..lol If you are decorating cakes you probably have an eye for what looks good and you should do whatever is speaking to you as far as design. Honestly, any combination will look nice so don't worry too much about it. Good Luck!!

I was thinking the same thing. icon_smile.gif

adamsmom Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:

I agree with SISA! thumbs_up.gif

arosstx Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 22

I think the quilted tier and the beaded tier, especially if you've not done much scrollwork. Best to practice on something that's not someone's wedding cake!

Babs1964 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 22

I concur with Sisa, I think it ties everything together.

mindy1204 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 22

Thank you ladies! It would have been easier if the bride would make a choice. She is very indecisive.. She doesn't want to have me do too much work or go out of my way! But I offered and she picked a pretty simple design so I am greatful for that!

KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 22

I'm with the consensus that says leave off the pearled tier....I think it would look nicer with the quilted bottom tier with the scrolled tier on top. JMO

Win Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

Quote:

I agree with SISA! thumbs_up.gif

Add me to the SISA consensus! I thinnk the quilted tier and the scroll tier would compete with each other whereas the beaded tier and the quilted tier compliment each other. As someone else said as well, best not to try something you have not done before on a wedding cake. Scroll work takes practice and a steady hand!

Herekittykitty Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #16 of 22

Leave off the pearls - IMHO. Too much dotty dot dot. The Scrolls add something to the design. Michaels and Joanns both used sell a set of scrollwork impressions, they aren't quite what is on this cake but are still pretty.

Melvira Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #17 of 22

See, I lean toward the 'leave off the scrolls' side just because there is nothing tying those two together, but the dots DO replicate the quilted part. I just think it would be pretty that way, but honestly, as long as you do the scrolls well, you'll be happy with it either way! Either option would be gorgeous, honestly. Especially since they weren't even going to HAVE a cake. That is very sweet of you, and I bet she'll be thrilled with whatever you choose! thumbs_up.gif

MyDiwa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #18 of 22

My vote is for the scroll work with the quilting.

deMuralist Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #19 of 22

I am for the beads and quilting

Cindy619 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #20 of 22

I like the idea of the scroll work and quilting as well! If you are afraid they won't tie together well, you could always incorporate some dots into the scroll design by piping three dots around the bend of the scroll work. Does that make sense? It's harder than I thought to explain that in words.

ycknits Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #21 of 22

I'm pretty sure that I got my scroll stencil at JoAnn's. The cake in the photo has a very simple scroll pattern that is repeated all the way around. It looks like an impression to me!

mindy1204 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #22 of 22

Thank you ladies! I will practice the scroll work on some dummies I have ahead of time just to see if I can even do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%