Height Of Cake

Decorating By LisaPeps Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 12:07pm by LisaPeps

LisaPeps Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:33am
post #1 of 7

I baked a 10" square cake, the batter didn't rise as much as I expected it to. Once I levelled it, it was 4cm tall (about 1.6") so once I have added the filling and fondant I guess I could get away with 2" tall. Is this too short for the cake? And do you know how many this will serve? It's a birthday cake and will have a topper on it.

Does anyone have any pictures of a fondant cake which is 2" tall?

Thanks for your input

6 replies
KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:56am
post #2 of 7

I would say it would serve 25 people (2"x2"x2" slices) you would cut it 5 x 5.

I think it seems a bit short for a birthday cake and would probably bake another layer........but cakes over there in the UK are usually shorter than here in the US anyhow aren't they?

How many servings did they request?

LisaPeps Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 7

They requested 30. It's for a friend at work and I'm only charging cost of making, so none profit.

I would definitely bake another layer in other circumstances but they gave me a budget of £20-£30 and baking the cake so far has cost £6.90. Add to that the cost of making ganache, making a raspberry filling, covering with fondant, making a RKT cake topper + cake boards and boxes and the cost keeps going up. I don't know if I could afford to make another layer and keep it under £30 :S But on the other hand, I don't want the cake to look stupid with the proportions.

I'm not sure if they're typically shorter :S

Eeek, help! >.<

KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 7

flip your 10" square cake pan over and pretend it's a cake and see what you think about the way it looks?

LisaPeps Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 7

I decided to bite the bullet and bake another one to make it 4" tall. I see it as a representation of my skills so I would want it to look as good as possible. Seeing as I am a newbie too, I need my cakes to look as good as possible xD

Ah well, just hope the costs don't go up too much...

Thanks for your help all

GGFan Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 7

I think 4" will make it looks better. Hope you get some orders once other people see how pretty your cake will be icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 7

So I baked the second layer and left it to cool for a day. It still came out at around 2", think it's the amount of batter, I'm not scaling it up right.

But anyway, my sister came over the day after I baked it and was like "I want to make a cake for my friends birthday." I was like "Sure Sis, when for?" "Ummmm..tomorrow" O_O We had 5 hours to decorate it lol. So I let her use the second layer I had just baked for my other cake.

So heres the link, what do you think of the height?

If you think it looks alright, I won't bother baking another one for the other cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%