Icing Help

Baking By SugarsBakery Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 2:58am by SugarsBakery

SugarsBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarsBakery Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 5

How do I make and use a BC that will please everyone???

I love my BC recipe but its hit and miss with different people.

Everyone seems to LOVE the taste and texture but once applied to the finished product, Im hearing that its too sweet, and while they finish the cake, they tend to leave some of the icing.

Some people, mainly my husband who has an extreme sweet tooth can devour the icing but most dont.

Do you think Im using too much icing? Or is it simply too sweet when applied in combination with the cake?

TIA

-Sugar

4 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:34am
post #2 of 5

What flavorings do you use? I have found that extracts make a huge difference.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 5

What are you using in your icing? I found that the basic Wilton buttercream was too sweet. I've tried out IndyDebi's and I've tried SugarShack's and both are good, and I don't find them as sweet. Also, if you try an Swiss Meringue buttercream, or an Italian Meringue buttercream, you may find they're not as sweet either as they don't use powdered sugar. My favourite icing is the SMB but since it uses butter, I only use it when I know the cake/cupcakes won't be outside as I get worried it will melt.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:00am
post #4 of 5

What are you using in your icing? I found that the basic Wilton buttercream was too sweet. I've tried out IndyDebi's and I've tried SugarShack's and both are good, and I don't find them as sweet. Also, if you try an Swiss Meringue buttercream, or an Italian Meringue buttercream, you may find they're not as sweet either as they don't use powdered sugar. My favourite icing is the SMB but since it uses butter, I only use it when I know the cake/cupcakes won't be outside as I get worried it will melt.

SugarsBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarsBakery Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #5 of 5

I was using a Wiltons recipe I was given. I was using Almond extract instead of Vanilla.

Im going to try Indydebi's in the morning.

Is there a certain recipe for SMB that you prefer?

I live in Texas, so I need something that will hold up to the heat.

TIA

-Sugar

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%