Man, This Was Much Harder Than I'd Thought...

Decorating By KayMc Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm by egensinnig

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #1 of 5

Tonight I draped fondant over a cake for the first time. It was the MFF that I forgot the glycerine while making, and had to knead it in later. While it tasted FABULOUS, it did tear some, and I think that at least part of that was my screwed up recipe rather than my novice, crappy technique.

I made some white chocolate ganache and applied that over the cake for under the fondant. I was surprised at how difficult and slow it was to try to smooth the fondant once it was firm. I boiled water, and dipped my spatula to heat it up. I obviously did a POOR job of smoothing the ganache, as the fondant turned out pretty bumpy.

I plan to cover my multitude of fondant problems with decorations. Will buttercream borders and flowers stick to the fondant? I'm so bummed..... icon_redface.gif

4 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 5

It will stick. Sometimes fondant is my best friend...other times it is my worst nightmare!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 5

This first time, fondant wasn't my best friend, that's for sure!

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 5

Kay, have you worked with fondant a lot? I found that it was easier for me to buy some (in this case Wilton) at first to figure out what it should feel like and work like. I definitely didn't know any of that the first time I tried to make fondant! (which was a massive fail! icon_razz.gif)

I can't really help you with the ganache side because I haven't tried it under fondant ever. Do you have a fondant smoother?

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 5

You can also add the glycerine after teh MMF is made - just knead in a teaspoon at a time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%