Number Of Servings For Carved Butterfly?

Decorating By kger Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 8:35pm by hollyml

kger Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a butterfly out of 2 - 10" rounds. Once carved, about half of the round is left, leaving the serving equivalent of 1-10" round.

I was just told today (for Sat. cake) that instead of 20 guests, to plan for 35 - 40.

So, according to the Wilton chart, a 2 layer 10" round should serve 28 ppl, which I fear will not be enough if I do a 2 layer butterfly. If I made a sheet cake to put under the butterfly using 2 - 9 x 13 pans, making a 13 x 18 essentially, 1 layer should serve 36, and the 1 layer butterfly would serve 14 for a grand total of 50. Does this sound about right? It sounds like a pain to shape a cardboard to put under the butterfly, though.

Another option is to make the 2 layer butterfly and supplement with cupcakes. Probably a cheaper option, huh? Going that route, do you plan on 1 cupcake/person, or would 2 make more sense? This is an adult party, btw.

2 replies
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 3

What about taking two 12in hearts for the wings and trimming the points a little? You'd have 56 servings before trimming, and you could bake some cupcakes to place between the two to make the body of the butterfly.

hollyml Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 3

How are you carving the round so that you only end up with half of it? The typical butterfly-from-round-cake design involves using half of the round for each pair (upper and lower) of wings, and the only part you carve away is a bit of a notch in the sides. (And you can then use those cutouts for the butterfly's head/body if you want.)

You can stack a single-layer butterfly on top of a single-layer sheet cake without a cardboard support. At least, I've done it without a problem, though I did not have to transport the cake.

One of these butterflies was made from a round (8" or 9", I don't remember which), and the other from two small hearts. The base is a 12x18 single layer.

The body of the pink butterfly is made from the side of one of the hearts used to make the purple butterfly -- I cut a curve out of the side in order to fit the two hearts next to each other with points together. The body of the purple butterfly is just frosting, piped in a ruffly mound using a "dessert decorator" (large tips).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%