Can I Use Ice Cream In My Butter Cream?

Decorating By aquamom Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm by Kimmers971

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

For a change of pace I added icecream instead of Dream Whip. How long can I keep the cup cakes out? Do they need to be refrigerated? It's about 84 degrees in my house

I used about 1 Cup of vanilla ice cream thawed ( not completely liquid) to two pounds powdered sugar along with milk ( it was really thick) and a cup of shortening, a bit of butter and the other usual ingredients.

6 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 7

I would keep it refrigerated until ready to serve. Or maybe it's just me thinking
ice cream. They don't refrigerate cakes with milk used in the icing but then it's
quite warm in your house!!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 7

Yeah, I'm with cakes47. I'm thinking like " ice cream cake", probably not a good idea to keep in a warm place, but then again...is it still really "ice cream" or just ice cream that has been put into a icing. I think I would keep it in the frig until ready to serve to be on the safe side.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:40am
post #4 of 7

Once I read that we shouldn't consume the melted icecream as most of them contains egg and is's safe in freezing temp but not when melted/thawed. Those eggs and the milk in room temp, is a breeding ground of bacteria so I don't think it is a good idea to use it in BC.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 7

hmm good question! I remember a post from a while ago that someone was talking about using melted icing in their recipes, I just can't remember if it was cake or BC they were talking about!

Have you tried to search and see if you could find anything? I am thinking btw Macsmom might know the answer to this question, maybe PM her?

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 7

i was thinking about trying using melted ice cream to flavor a cake; interesting idea to use it to flavor bc.

if you find out the answer, please post again as i'd love to know.

thanks!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 7

With all the preservatives and pasturizing, eating melted ice cream isn't going to hurt you - unless of course its spoiled from sitting out.

Experiment, what's the worst that can happen - you don't like the results?

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%