Cutting Cookie Dough With The Cricut

Baking By cakebaker12 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm by luv2bake6

cakebaker12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker12 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone tell me how thick i can roll and cut to be able to cut with the cricut? icon_smile.gif

8 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 9

I won't swear to my memory, but at the demonstration in AC Moore, I'm pretty sure they said you can only go to 1/16th of an inch.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #3 of 9

Wow, that's really really thin! Do they really hold up to decorating.
I didnt' know AC Moore had a demo. I'll have to check them out and see if they offer it here.

cownsj Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #4 of 9

The edible Cricut sheets were very durable. They were like thin vinyl. For some things I like the way they look. They're very expensive though, about $18 for just 3 sheets. I had hoped the demonstrator would do some gumpaste, but she was experienced with the regular cricut and just got the demo one to practice with the night before. The detail was great on the sheets, and I know they'd hold up to just about anything. I have a friend who got one, but has been too afraid to try it yet. I'll go over one day and we'll play with it together. But since I saw the price of the sheets, we'll stick with practicing with gumpaste. We can practice on it, them reroll it and cut again and again. (as long as we work quickly enough.) But it's still cheaper than the sheets.

luv2bake6 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #5 of 9

Wait a minute. I thought we were talking about cookie dough? 1/16 " of cookie dough is very thin, no?
So the new cricut sheets are like gumpaste or edible paper or what?

cownsj Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:09am
post #6 of 9

The cricut sheets are about the thickness of very thin vinyl. Paper thin. You can roll out gumpaste onto the mat you work on with the cricut and cut that out. That is what I think she said you can do to 1/16th inch thickness. I think that would be too thin for any cookie, but I do recall someone there saying they were going to try to do it.

luv2bake6 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:23am
post #7 of 9

That's what i thought. Cuz the person who started the thread was asking about cookie dough. I also remember reading that some have cut cookie dough with it but i also cannot imagine it being that thin.
I do know about the gumpaste and cricut but still havent gotten a good consistency to cut intricate details. Can be very frustrating.

cownsj Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 9

I was finally able to confirm that 1/16th inch thickness from a cricut site: http://www.cricut.com/cricutcake/tips.aspx "Using a rolling pin or a pasta machine, roll out to about 1/16" thick (about the thickness of one or two CDs). " -geez, my memory worked, 1 time in a row now...... lol-

It also says you can cut other things, including cookie dough.....
"Besides frosting sheets, gum paste, and fondant, we have had success cutting cookie dough, cheese, tortillas, modeling chocolate, gum, and various soft candies. This machine will cut through soft food materials. This will require you to experiment to get the right consistency of food and the proper settings on the machine." I do remember the demonstrator saying to set it for the slower speed for intricate details, and I'm guessing the same might be true for different food items. But even at the slowest speed it cut very quickly.

ah, and it also said this, "Make sure your food material is no thicker than 1/8 thick. It will cut best at 1/16 thick."

luv2bake6 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the info!! It really is all about consistency cuz i've not been able to get it right enough to cut without tearing or breaking. (talking about gumpaste)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%