Do You Charge Extra For Last Minute Orders?

Business By Bskinne Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 3:02pm by Kiddiekakes

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 10

Just curious, I have gotten a few request for cakes on very short notice (i.e., a wedding cake today for Friday, etc.) Is this a good justification for charging extra? I mean, you waited until the last minute to order your wedding cake?!?!?!

9 replies
kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 10

Yes! Charge a rush order fee because your expenses would likely be higher. No time to order your supplies, so you have to buy retail, kwim?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, it's totally justifiable. As mentioned already, you cannot take advantage of whatever buying program you have in place to get lower pricing (in my case, that would be ordering for truck delivery vs. going to Sam's Club).

You also don't have the option of making things a little each day (bake and freeze; make gumpaste figures, etc) so, in thinking like a business, you have to factor the 'overtime' you would have to pay your staff (and "your staff" includes YOU!). Odds are good that if I had to work late with a helper, my business would be buying a pizza to be delivered for our dinner, so increased expenses.

totally justifiable.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 10

absolutely, I charge an additional cost of $.50/serv with a minimum of $20 late fee for anything less than 48 hrs. for occasional cakes and anything less than 14 days for wedding cakes!

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 10

I even warn my immediate family and best friends that I can't/won't make a cake for them with less than a weeks notice!

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 10

I was wondering this myself!! It seems a lot of people lately wait until MAYBE a week and a half to order custom cakes, and I hadn't been charging extra but wanted to. I mean, if Jane* politely ordered her cake two months ago, but Sally* waited until the week before to even send the first email about a cake, why should Sally be given the same price when I have to run around like a chicken with its head cut off to get her order done? I DON'T DO CHICKEN IMPRESSIONS FOR FREE!!

*names are fictional and not meant to offend anyone : )

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 10

I also take into account rather or not they would find anyone else to do there cake on this short of notice. Especially for a wedding cake, at the last minute they are not looking to save money, they just want to make sure there is a cake there. They will pay the extra.

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 10

Great topic. I had a lady leave me a message on my phone last night at 9:45pm for a cake for today. icon_eek.gif What!!! icon_eek.gif Needless to say I called her back at 10pm out of curiosity but she did not pick up. What does she think I am a 24 hour walmart.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 10

Yes! 25% of total or minimum $25 on any cake with less than 7 days notice. I no longer accommodate Kit cake orders with less than 2 weeks notice. I send them to Wal-mart. LOL!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 10

I don't but then again my business is kids cakes etc..I never do big weddings...I just this morning had a regular customer email and ask if I could make a 9x13 slab for Saturday as her previous plans fell through...What the heck..I'm decorating anyway!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%