People Poking My Cake!

Decorating By Sparklekat6 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 2:38am by 7yyrt

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 40

Just need to vent...

WHAT IS IT with people and fondant? I know we should be patient with the cake muggles but seriously, why do you feel the need to go up to something and poke it!? This has happened twice now.

The first time I had left a cake overnight at my moms (where I had decorated it) and her friend came over and felt the need to stick her finger in the cake which of course left and indentation because it's fondant!

Then, this weekend I took a cake to a fundraiser and at some point someone decided they should stick their finger in the top of it.

Why?! Please explain to me on what planet it's okay to stick your finger in something?? Even if you don't know what it is? In fact, ESPECIALLY if you don't know what it is!

Okay I'm done now. Thank you for putting up with me!

39 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 40

these are the same people who think it's ok to just touch a pregnant woman's tummy...seriously...no personal space or control.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 40

I usually only have that problem with kids. The adults think its funny to pretend they are going to poke their finger into my cake. I guess that's better than actually doing it...but I'm sure if I wasn't there watching, they'd actually DO it.

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 40

Same people who like to touch babies that are not related to them, I took my daughter to the store a few weeks after she was born and several women who I do not know wanted pat her head or hold her hand. All very innocent but I was still annoyed.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycornercakes

The adults think its funny to pretend they are going to poke their finger into my cake. I guess that's better than actually doing it...but I'm sure if I wasn't there watching, they'd actually DO it.

Spent a good part of my weekend with extended family. Have some uncles who are, for lack of a better word, obnoxious....they would totally do it ESPECIALLY if I was there watching...

makes you wonder....

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 40

I know, huh? I was in a competition a couple of months ago and the cakes were on display for voting purposes. It was at Michael's and the cakes were in the room where they hold the classes. I was outside the room talking to someone and out of the corner of my eye I could see a hand reaching out towards the gumpaste roses on top of my cake. My comment to the person I was talking to was along the lines of "OMG, why can't people keep their grubby fingers to themselves"...the poker turned out to be my boss, who is also a good friend and should know better! We had a good laugh about it afterwards!

Also wanted to add my 2 cents about the pregnant thing...I HATED that when I was pregnant!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 40

Honestly I'd be breaking fingers! icon_lol.gif I know I have a friend who does cake shows and it's not the brides, it's the MOTHERS of the brides who come up to the gumpaste flowers (you know, the REALLY FRAGILE ones) and say "Oh this is real..." crack! Then leave a mortified bride there to apologize as mom scampers back under the rock she came from. (My friend ended up making a special gumpaste flower on a plate with a big sign "PLEASE TOUCH AND BREAK THIS ONE." icon_lol.gif

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 40

I know! All kinds of people used to come up to my mom in the store when they saw the baby, and just start blabbering on and on and on and on about how cute she/he was, and tickling their feet and even giving them little kissys! Talk about stupid and annoying! My mom hated it!

Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

My friend ended up making a special gumpaste flower on a plate with a big sign "PLEASE TOUCH AND BREAK THIS ONE." icon_lol.gif

Actually, this is a BRILLIANT idea! I'd put a sign that says "Curious about gumpaste flowers? Please handle tester."

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 40

At the last competition I entered I had done a cake with several tiers of royal icing extension work. I took best in show and had just moved it to the front table when this obnoxious man came up and loudly yelled, "What's that made out of?" and proceeded to poke a finger through a line of bridgework. Did I mention that I was standing right there and had spent 15 hours on the extension work ALONE? I'm still not convinced he wasn't the husband of another competitor. I thought I was going to kill him. Especially when he mumbled, "oh...sorry." and walked off!!!! AUGHHHHHHH!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluSweetArt

At the last competition I entered I had done a cake with several tiers of royal icing extension work. I took best in show and had just moved it to the front table when this obnoxious man came up and loudly yelled, "What's that made out of?" and proceeded to poke a finger through a line of bridgework. Did I mention that I was standing right there and had spent 15 hours on the extension work ALONE? I'm still not convinced he wasn't the husband of another competitor. I thought I was going to kill him. Especially when he mumbled, "oh...sorry." and walked off!!!! AUGHHHHHHH!!!!

Yep, I'd definitely be breaking fingers!! icon_lol.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 40
Quote:

Stopping at fingers might be too good for them......

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMN

Quote:

Stopping at fingers might be too good for them......

ha ha ha ha ha!! You know you're right?? I was just trying to find the picture here on CC (which of course I cannot find now) icon_cry.gif but the gal had done this fabulous cake and won a competition with it. She had pix posted here on CC and that's what I was looking for. Well in her comments, she mentioned that a competitor STOLE the finished product!! Yes, she went to pick it up from the competition and it was already gone! icon_confused.gif If anyone remembers this (just a few months ago) I'm dying to find out how that ended. (And yes, I'd be breaking more that fingers there too!) icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluSweetArt

Oh, this is just horrible! We all KNOW how hard that bridgework is! I think I might have burst into tears!

Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 40
Quote:

ha ha ha ha ha!! You know you're right?? I was just trying to find the picture here on CC (which of course I cannot find now) icon_cry.gif but the gal had done this fabulous cake and won a competition with it. She had pix posted here on CC and that's what I was looking for. Well in her comments, she mentioned that a competitor STOLE the finished product!! Yes, she went to pick it up from the competition and it was already gone! icon_confused.gif If anyone remembers this (just a few months ago) I'm dying to find out how that ended. (And yes, I'd be breaking more that fingers there too!) icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

No...really?! I'm icon_eek.gif appalled at human behavior sometimes!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:

No...really?! I'm icon_eek.gif appalled at human behavior sometimes!

I know, I remember saving the picture but I have 91 pages of saved pix! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif so I'm having some trouble locating it! icon_biggrin.gif

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #17 of 40

Had this happen just last weekend, not with cake but with cupcakes. I made 6 flavors and had a sheet on the table with a note CLEARLY stating what flavor each color of cupcake liner had in it and that the fondant deco was edible ( I live where fondant is a foreign word) Had worked for hours making fondant patchwork butterflies, flowers and lady bugs, and what did everyone do (All Adults) pick one up and look at them, push on the fondant deco's and then put them down and pick up another one. I was steaming, DH had to grab my hand and reel me in as I was going to go stand guard over the CC stand. DH kept saying if the hostess wants to say something, it is her place not yours. I DISAGREE! Maybe I'm wrong?

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantedcakes

Same people who like to touch babies that are not related to them, I took my daughter to the store a few weeks after she was born and several women who I do not know wanted pat her head or hold her hand. All very innocent but I was still annoyed.

aw i'm sorry. i did this this weekend at the theater (hubby works there and i help out now and then) . mom was having some fuss time with the wee one and i came over to try and distract her, smiled and tickeled etc. told mom what a special little girl she had and made funny faces with the little girl. i will be more respectful in the future. guess its me missing my oldest- just sent him to the navy last month.

i know the peeve about being pregnant and no personal space. my mother was forever constantly staring at my belly or (above that) once when i was in an unhappy mood and was talking while standing she never once looked at me in the eyes.. i finally had to say to her like a guy staring at a womans chest "Mom- i'm up here!" god i was po'd.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:42pm
post #19 of 40

I had it happen to a buttercream cake- did not see it happen, but saw later a small but distinct finger print on the top edge of the bottom tier. I think probably a curious kid. At least I had already taken my pictures. Oh yes and there was a fondant baby shower cake that I had to repair after a curious toddler get loose. Thankfully it was in the back, and I think I had gotten my pictures already of that one too. I figure as long as I get good pictures before they destroy it....

GenGen Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #20 of 40

the very 2nd wedding cake i ever did was a nice simple design. it was vines and leaves all over in ivory with clear edible glitter on it made it look wet icon_smile.gif loved it. when i set the bottom layer down MY hand slipped and went right in to the cake. so never fail i just squeezed some icing in to the hole and piped some vines and leaves over it. i did let the bride know so it could be cut last or used for the bride groom taste exchange lol she didn't mind one bit. we just turned it around so it faced the back no one but us were the wiser.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #21 of 40

It's like when people see the "Wet Paint" sign, but have to touch anyway.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycornercakes

I usually only have that problem with kids. The adults think its funny to pretend they are going to poke their finger into my cake. I guess that's better than actually doing it...but I'm sure if I wasn't there watching, they'd actually DO it.

My response, as I stand there, totally sober faced, with arms crossed across my chest, is, "Yeah .... that was SO funny the first 137 times someone did it." icon_confused.gif

People are idiots.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
post #23 of 40

Haha Debi! I'll have to remember that for the next time it happens.

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:09pm
post #24 of 40

I remember once years ago I had made a plate of my lemon madelines and put them out for a break at a function. When we went out to the break room, someone had picked up one madeline, taken a bite and placed it back on the plate (on top of the other madelines!!) I was spitting mad and made a LOUD comment about people having no class! (Of course nobody fessed up after that either...) icon_confused.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:23pm
post #25 of 40

I don't get why people find the need to poke their fingers in things either. Or sample every item in the bulk food section likes it perfectly okay for them to do so.

I've only made 4 wedding cakes. My first being extremely stressful as the bride wanted a buttercream cake with no decoration, nothing but a ball border.
It took me forever to get that cake smooth enough to be presentable, as up till then, any icing mistakes got covered with a flower or whatever.

The cake was being picked up by the brides cousin & her DH. They walk in and first thing the DH says when he sees the cake.. hey, is that real icing? & then stuck his finger right into the middle tier of the cake! And not just a touch, he stuck his finger far enough in that I couldn't repair the spot as well as it should have been.
I swear I was so mad at that man for being such an unthinking idiot, I could've strangled him on the spot!!

Lulusweetart.. I cannot imagine that happening to your extension work. I would have cried. What an ass that man was to do such a thing. You should have punched him a good one!! icon_mad.gif

GenGen Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:26pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

I don't get why people find the need to poke their fingers in things either. Or sample every item in the bulk food section likes it perfectly okay for them to do so.

I've only made 4 wedding cakes. My first being extremely stressful as the bride wanted a buttercream cake with no decoration, nothing but a ball border.
It took me forever to get that cake smooth enough to be presentable, as up till then, any icing mistakes got covered with a flower or whatever.

The cake was being picked up by the brides cousin & her DH. They walk in and first thing the DH says when he sees the cake.. hey, is that real icing? & then stuck his finger right into the middle tier of the cake! And not just a touch, he stuck his finger far enough in that I couldn't repair the spot as well as it should have been.
I swear I was so mad at that man for being such an unthinking idiot, I could've strangled him on the spot!!

Lulusweetart.. I cannot imagine that happening to your extension work. I would have cried. What an ass that man was to do such a thing. You should have punched him a good one!! icon_mad.gif

makes me wanna know what Gene we possess that makes ppl want to do this.. and in that essence makes me curious about genetic research lol

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:40pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:

They walk in and first thing the DH says when he sees the cake.. hey, is that real icing? & then stuck his finger right into the middle tier of the cake!

Assuming I'd already been paid in full........ icon_rolleyes.gif

Wouldn't it be nice to say to him ........

"ARE YOU A F*CKIN' MORON?? DID YOU REALLY THINK I WAS PUTTING PLASTIC ICING ON THIS FOR YOU?????? DID YO' MAMA REALLY RAISE YOU TO BE SUCH AN EMBICILE OR DID YOU LEARN THAT ON YOUR OWN????" Then tell them there's a $50 "fix-it" charge!

Alas, there are some things that even *I* can't really say out loud. icon_cry.gif

(But it makes me feel better just to think about it!)

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

They walk in and first thing the DH says when he sees the cake.. hey, is that real icing? & then stuck his finger right into the middle tier of the cake!

Assuming I'd already been paid in full........ icon_rolleyes.gif

Wouldn't it be nice to say to him ........

"ARE YOU A F*CKIN' MORON?? DID YOU REALLY THINK I WAS PUTTING PLASTIC ICING ON THIS FOR YOU?????? DID YO' MAMA REALLY RAISE YOU TO BE SUCH AN EMBICILE OR DID YOU LEARN THAT ON YOUR OWN????" Then tell them there's a $50 "fix-it" charge!

Alas, there are some things that even *I* can't really say out loud. icon_cry.gif

(But it makes me feel better just to think about it!)

Hahaa! Too funny Indy! Don't we all wish we could say that just once! icon_twisted.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:11am
post #29 of 40

Once when I had a birthday cake for a large gathering of family, an uncle jabbed his finger knuckle deep right in the middle of the cake.

Being family, I felt no shyness; and took a knife, marked out his piece in the icing proclaiming loudly
"I see Uncle ___ has marked the piece he wants!" Aunt ___ gave him a good talking to about that.

Geez people - it's food keep your fingers out!

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Once when I had a birthday cake for a large gathering of family, an uncle jabbed his finger knuckle deep right in the middle of the cake.

Being family, I felt no shyness; and took a knife, marked out his piece in the icing proclaiming loudly
"I see Uncle ___ has marked the piece he wants!" Aunt ___ gave him a good talking to about that.

Geez people - it's food keep your fingers out!

Taking a survey here ..... do you find it's mostly men or women who do this?

I find that women will "touch" it. Men will shove their whole freakin' finger in it!! icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%