My Three Tier Saggy Disaster :(

Decorating By nanacakez Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm by nanacakez

nanacakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanacakez Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 6

Ok so ivebeen doing cakes a while and this is the first time ive ever had a dissatisfied customer. Keep in mind here in NY right now its 95 degrees + and more humid than a babys rear end icon_smile.gif

I made this three tier sweet 16 cake and before delivering it was flawless. Not a crumb or piece of fondant out of place, shortly post delivery i received a phone call abt how the cake was sagging....

could it have been the heat? The cake i was using was a sponge cake with coonut filling, chocolate pudding, and strawberry. Could it have ben the cake type? I placed all the supports the way they should have been....

Help!?!

icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

5 replies
eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know but I would have to guess that it had something to do with the filling/frosting underneath the fondant, and the 95 degree weather. Seriously, it is cake and icing, not metal or wood, so by definition, it just does better when it isn't 95 degrees. The warmer it gets, the softer it gets. That's my opinion.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 6

Is it the one with the purple dress on top in your photos? It looks like it had some settling issues already...look at the bottom tier on the left. Being out in the heat would only make it more noticeable.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 6

Are you talking about the last cake in your photos? Post the link please.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 6

what was your support system?

And are you talking pudding from a mix or pudding that was pretty stiff? What kind of strawberries? Just sliced strawberries?

nanacakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanacakez Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 6

Yes it was the cake with the dress on top, i think i put too much filling and in combination with the heat it was a disaster. nevertheless we live and learn. Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%