How Much Do I Need To Grease/powder The Mat For Fondant?

Baking By KayMc Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm by Cindy619

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 5

I just tried to roll out the MFF that I incorrectly made. I forgot to add the glycerine at the beginning, so I kneaded it in after I realized I forgot it.

I have a large Fat Daddio's mat for fondant rolling, and I greased it w/ crisco, and then powdered it w/ cornstarch. I couldn't get that fondant off to save my life. It stuck almost everywhere.

Is it because I screwed up the fondant, or did I not grease the mat enough? Any thoughts?

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 5

When using Michele Foster's fondant I have to use cornstarch. This fondant loves cornstarch. I cannot get it to work to save my life unless I use cornstarch...and plenty of it. I have gone to Wal-Mart at 2 am for cornstarch...could NOT get it to work using powdered sugar and forget greasing the mat...this fondnat will just stick...CORNSTARCH ...that's the key.

I don't use any other fondant besides Michele Foster's and I've never been able to use it without cornstarch.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 5

Between the crisco and the powdered sugar seems like you made a paste. Wash the mat and start all over. Either use a strainer and sprinkle the cs around the surface (not a thick covering but enough to cover the mat) as you're rolling you need to pick up the fondant and move it around applying more cs as needed. Or, use crisco and pick up and move the fondant adding more crisco as needed. Mines stick when I just roll, roll, roll and don't pick up off the surface.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 5

I washed the mat, and then LIBERALLY applied corn starch. It worked! Thanks!

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 5

I've never tried the cornstarch before, so I'll have to give that a shot. Just for future reference, either use powdered sugar OR grease the mat. The two together negate each other icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%