Enterprise Company Claims We Damaged A Car. Ugh! (Rant)

Lounge By momtofourmonkeys Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 3:46am by momtofourmonkeys

momtofourmonkeys Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 16

We went on vacation for 8 days between the end of June and the beginning of July. We returned the car on July 7th in the same condition we rented it in. Last Friday, July 16th, we got a letter in the mail saying we damaged the car and needed to send our insurance information to their company. My DH calls and they tell him that several letters were mailed out to individuals as they are trying to figure out when the damage occurred. Again, it didn't happen on our time so DH tells them this. Today, Monday, July 19th we get another letter in the mail. It was mailed out on the 9th with a claim number and it says a review indicates we are responsible and we owe them 248.02 for damages to the lift gate for (125.00), administration fees of (50.00), loss of use for a day (73.02). When we returned to the airport there was noone at the drop off location (we flew out at 7:10 am) so DH did a quick walk around and dropped the keys in the drop box as instructed when noone is there. I called the Enterprise that we rented from today instead of the claims center and was told they would review it and call me back as they had to look in the computer system to see what was reported and/or damaged.

This is so frustrating! Sorry for going on and on. I just needed to get this off my chest.

15 replies
Auryn Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 16

Did you take any pictures of the car when you dropped it off??

DeeDelightful Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 16

What a mess! Sounds like they are fishing in the dark for someone to take responsibility. They might get lucky and get more than one party to pay them for the damages. We had an issue with Enterprise. Someone hit us in the vehicle (not our fault), but they were under the impression we caused the accident. That was in 2001. I still can't rent a car from them. They have strange business practices.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

Did you take any pictures of the car when you dropped it off??

We didn't. We would have never in our wildest dreams thought something like this would happen. According to the letter we got, the damage was to the lift gate (back door). We still don't know what the supposed damage exactly was though. Dent, mechanics, who knows what?. The vehicle was a Dodge Caravan. The lady I spoke to on the phone said she couldn't get into the computer system to see what the "damage" was. I think she didn't want to tell me anything unless her manager was there, hence the "we will call you back after I speak with my manager and we look over the claim."

I read on the internet that companies do "double dip" by sending bills to several customers in hopes of getting paid more than once. Don't know if this is the case.

I am worried about the fact that they have my credit card information although, I would think it would be illegal for them to pay themselves this money without my consent.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 16

Deedelightful, did you have to pay anything?

DeeDelightful Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 16

No, we didn't have to pay, because the accident was someone else's fault. My mistake was allowing my fiancee' (now husband) to drive, although i rented the vehicle, so that's their reason for not allowing me to rent from them anymore. Even though the accident was not his fault.

KoryAK Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 16

I would demand to see the walk around from the very next rental after yours before conceding ANYTHING.... if they didn't notice it right away (which apparently they didn't) the burden SHOULD be on them but will most likely be on the last person to rent it before they noticed.

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 16

This is the new scam that rental companies are trying to pull on customers..You rent the vehicle and bring it back and they accuse you of damaging the vehicle etc...and they try to do this to every customer because no one knows to look or check out a vehicle they rent before they drive it away...!!!I have heard this before...some woman had this happen....I'm not sure what you can do to protect yourselves but know it is a scheme going around and if you rent vehicles...be aware of it!!!

momtofourmonkeys Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 16

Still haven't heard anything back from Enterprise. I know better now to look, have them inspect, and take pictures if needed.

Looking back, we should have returned the car the day before and had the hotel shuttle get us to the airport that morning that way we could have returned it while someone was there or waited for someone to show up for an inspection. We were worried at the time that waiting on or getting a shuttle at 5:30 in the morning may not be in our best interest because we didn't want to run the risk of being late for our flight on account of someone else.

As for the walk around, if the "damage" was in the electronic mechanism or inside pressure bars (not sure what those dohickies are called), it probably wouldn't be seen on a walk around. I bet they don't even open and close doors to test them. They probably look for dents and scratches only. Which would mean the renters behind us could have damaged the lift gate and then reported that it was already damaged when they got it.

Or it may not have been "damaged" at all and needed a few repairs of tightening up or something of that sort.

If they do pursue us, I plan on asking for the documentation of all inspections and copies of actual repairs done. And, either way around it, we aren't paying a dime!

I called them at 1:45 today and the manager was there, just on the other line when I called. Wonder what their excuse is for not calling back today?

kansaslaura Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:57am
post #10 of 16

I would suggest contacting the Attorney General of your state. This is out and out extortion!

momtofourmonkeys Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 16

Just an update or lack thereof. We have made calls to Enterprise and still heard nothing back. DH is planning on calling again today to see how far he can get with them. If we can get this resolved and have them say we are not responsible for the damages then we won't press farther.

ninjacaker Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtofourmonkeys

When we returned to the airport there was noone at the drop off location (we flew out at 7:10 am) so DH did a quick walk around and dropped the keys in the drop box as instructed when noone is there. I called the Enterprise that we rented from today instead of the claims center and was told they would review it and call me back as they had to look in the computer system to see what was reported and/or damaged.

Oooooooooh no honey. icon_sad.gif Looks like that was why they pinned it on you-no employee that signed off on it. So sorry!

GatuPR Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 16

I would stop the phone calls and write a complaint letter to their corporate headquarters office and send also a copy to the place where you rented the car from, explaining in detail everything that happened and the phone calls. Send it certified mail.

You can go online to get tips on how to write a letter and get results. Good luck.

pearlt1000 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #14 of 16

The gentleman at this website might be able to help.

http://www.elliott.org/

Ironbaker Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #15 of 16

In answer to it being a scam...it's not uncommon to look over a car before and after a rental - I'd highly suggest it. I used to work for Enterprise yeeeaaars ago out of school - they should all look over the car (and you're right, usually for visible signs of damage) and mark any damage found on the diagram of the car on the contract. PLEASE also look for yourself and ask them to mark anything you see.

If you talk to someone again, I'd ask (not sure they can give it out) for the rental history of the car to see what damage was marked in the past. Was it rented again after you? If it's something mechanical that they don't normally check for when they do the walk-around before you leave with the car, there's no way in h*ll they can say you caused it. I'm sure they're trying to "pin it" on you because nobody did a walk-around when you returned it. (taking a picture may not have sufficed if this is mechanical)

If they are supposed to call you back, I wouldn't sweat it right now. Let them contact you. They cannot legally use your card for additional charges such as this.

I hated that place, there are some shady practices. Stand your ground.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:46am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

If they are supposed to call you back, I wouldn't sweat it right now. Let them contact you. They cannot legally use your card for additional charges such as this.

The last call that was made was the one I made almost a week ago. DH was going to call that day but didn't get a chance. He has insisted he will make all calls from here so they can't take what we say and put spins on it to make it look like we have different stories, even though we do not. His belief is that "if" they call us back and pursue it, we will deal with them then.

I for one think we should keep pressing to get it resolved before they turn us over to a collection agency (we have excellent credit and I don't want it ruined) but DH thinks if they call or send another letter and press the issue we will have plenty to say - reporting to HQ, BBB, etc to get them to back off.

I guess we will just have to see how it pans out. I hate the unknown and unresolved issues like this!

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%