Spa Cake Tasting

Decorating By cupcake_cutie Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm by cupcake_cutie

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 13

Now, that Michigan has passed the Cottage Food Law, I have been offered to hold a tasting at a spa. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. They will be advertising it to their customer base and I will be inviting friends and family, so quite a few people might be in attendance and I want to have enough cake and a good variety of different flavors.

I have a couple of questions.
1. Is there such a thing as too many flavors? I want to have some basic and some gourmet flavors, but I'm not sure which ones to do.
2. What kind of beverage should I serve that will compliment the cakes? My husband says milk of course. icon_lol.gif

Thanks in advance.

12 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 13

Since your tasting will be at a spa, I would suggest mini cupcakes (People at a spa are more conscious/careful of what they eat). I would make just a couple of flavors, but make them beautiful!

cupcake_cutie Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #3 of 13

Thank you bakingpw. I appreciate your response.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 13

Inquire with the spa what they plan on serving to drink. If I supplied anything, it wouldn't be anything more than water. Afterall, you'd be there to offer cake samples. Does anyone (seriously asking here) offer drinks with samples at a bridal fair?

As for what kinds to offer...your best seller/most popular and if you have a specialty cake that you know would make their toes curl would be good for starters.

There was a thread about tastings with wonderful ideas on what and how to serve...like small morsels of several cakes, dollops of several different fillings, and dollops of several different icings which they could mix and match and enjoy. I'll see if I can't locate that thread for you. The images were wonderful as well as the overall idea.

cupcake_cutie Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:23am
post #5 of 13

Thanks all4cake. You have been really helpful. I like the idea about the fillings and different icings.

cupcake_cutie Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #6 of 13

I've spoken with the spa and they have tea, water and wine that they plan on serving. I guess since this is my first tasting especially of this size, I'm over thinking it a little bit. So do you think having 6 flavors is too much?

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:21am
post #7 of 13

If I were attending a cake tasting at a spa (sounds glorious, honestly) I would like to see mini cupcake so I would get a chance to try each flavor and combination without over indulging.

Or if you have a lot of fillings you would like them to try you could make 3 or 4 mini cupcakes in the flavors you're most proud of, and just like the previous poster said, do a little dollop of the other flavors you want to showcase on the side with cake to taste it with.

When I see it in my head being served to me (not the mini's but the little dollops of flavors) it is like a painter's plate with little chunks of cake and different flavors sitting there like pools of paint that you could dip the cake into to try the flavor. Of course it would be one painter's plate per individual, so you could double dip! That may be overboard for what you're doing though.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:07am
post #8 of 13

I like the mini cupcake idea, and...when I hear "spa" I think Champagne.

As far as selection.....I'd keep it to 3-4. Chocolate, red velvet, and lemon are my most requested flavors.

Sounds like fun. It would also be nice to have a hand out item, with your name & contact info on it. Maybe a favor box with a take home mini cupcake in it with a pretty sticker with your contact info. Or (easier) simple pink pens with contact info.

Whatever you do, make sure they don't leave w/o knowing your name and how to get ahold of you. Branding, branding, branding. Give them your website, FB fan page, whatever..... have fun.

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:54am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I like the mini cupcake idea, and...when I hear "spa" I think Champagne.

It would also be nice to have a hand out item, with your name & contact info on it. Maybe a favor box with a take home mini cupcake in it with a pretty sticker with your contact info. Or (easier) simple pink pens with contact info.

Whatever you do, make sure they don't leave w/o knowing your name and how to get ahold of you. Branding, branding, branding. Give them your website, FB fan page, whatever..... have fun.

brilliant advice there too!

cupcake_cutie Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you all soo much! I really like the painters plate idea and the idea about making a favor box for them to take home. And thank you all4cake for the link to the other thread. Lots of great information!

all4cake Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 13

Okay, I have to say, this is an awesome selection and display of samples! Put a head of lettuce in the center and see what they choose to eat...hmmmph...spa or not, I'd be eating every last one of those samples! Let the spa do double duty to massage that load off my back! LOL!

ETA: I forgot the link

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-607716-45.html

cupcake_cutie Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 13

Wow! That is a gorgeous display! Now, I have so many ideas, I don't know what to do. Lol. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%