Adding Yogurt To This Recipe?

Baking By kileyscakes Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm by kileyscakes

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake and this is the recipe but for more flavor I want to add a pina colada yogurt, and so If I do, do I need to change the recipe a bit? like cut back on the liquid? or will it be ok?

Pina Colada Cake or cupcakes
1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 tsp coconut extract
1 small can crushed pineapple with juice
1/2 cup buttermilk
TIA

6 replies
kileyscakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:35am
post #2 of 7

Anyone icon_surprised.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:07am
post #3 of 7

I would cut back on the buttermilk I think. Or cut the pineapple and the buttermilk so that you can get some of each into the batter. I don't know icon_lol.gif but I do have to say that it sounds yummy. May have to try it myself.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:29am
post #4 of 7

Well, the basic recipe i use for box is:
1 cake mix
1c. liquid
1/3 c. oil
1 c. sour cream
3-4 eggs

So if i were using yogurt it would replace part of the sour cream, or i would just use 1c. if the yogurt for the flavor.
It's the liquid in the fruit i would seperate out and measure...to make sure 1 c. makes it. or add water. Whatever i tweak in a recipe, i try to use these as guidelines.
Don't think i would use the buttermilk at all, but thats just me.
Hope this helps
*Quick note- I might scale down the liquid a bit, because the pineapple has liquid in it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

Well, the basic recipe i use for box is:
1 cake mix
1c. liquid
1/3 c. oil
1 c. sour cream
3-4 eggs

So if i were using yogurt it would replace part of the sour cream, or i would just use 1c. if the yogurt for the flavor.
It's the liquid in the fruit i would seperate out and measure...to make sure 1 c. makes it. or add water. Whatever i tweak in a recipe, i try to use these as guidelines.
Don't think i would use the buttermilk at all, but thats just me.
Hope this helps
*Quick note- I might scale down the liquid a bit, because the pineapple has liquid in it.

When I use yogurt I also use it as a replacement for sour cream but her recipe didn't have any sour cream in it. That's where I was a little confused on what to do. icon_lol.gif

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7

When I use yogurt I also use it as a replacement for sour cream but her recipe didn't have any sour cream in it. That's where I was a little confused on what to do. icon_lol.gif[/quote]

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't use her recipe, I would take a recipe and adapt it to mine, because I know thats what works for me. I don't like the way the ingredients look in the original reipe. This is just my suggestion.
The poster sounds like she has not tried the recipe before and she is trying to modify it. I wouldn't modify or make a suggestion on something I havn't tried yet. That is why I posted my base recipe. I would feel comfortable trying that, infact it looks so yummy...I just might! icon_biggrin.gif

kileyscakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tips ladies, I was thinking since this recipe doesn't have any oil, maybe adding yogurt won't hurt anything, what do you guys think?maybe if I add the yogurt change the buttermilk to 1/4 cup?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%