Round Or Square?

Decorating By missyt_00 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm by missyt_00

missyt_00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyt_00 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 8

Round or square cake with buttercream (no fondant)?! Why?

Just curious what people use most!

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 8

I would think it would depend on the style/look they were going for, and how many servings are needed.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

Round

I hate corners!! icon_mad.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 8

Depends on how many servings my customer orders. With having round and square it just gives me more options for servings so I can get them closer to the number they want/need. I don't care about the shape when icing or doing fondant. Although I personally find squares easier to fondant than rounds.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 8

If we're just talking personal preference - I've always preferred rounds to work with. Lately, though, I've made a concerted effort to try and work with more square cakes and I'm finding them pretty enjoyable. I still struggle with the corners some, but it gets easier each time!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 8

I do much better with squares. I counted up one time and out of 19 consecutive cakes, 15 of them were square. So evidently I'm pretty good at selling the brides on square ones, too! icon_biggrin.gif

And I'm a 30-year-buttercream gal. Just recently got pulled into fondant world. Found it so freakin' easy, it's almost a sin that we charge more for it!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 8

I like round because it's just easy. I like square because it seems elegant and offers more servings.

missyt_00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyt_00 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 8

interesting!! Thanks everyone! I'm trying to decide what to do for my next cake and thought I would see what everyone else usually does! This is going to be my first big all buttercream cake........ahhh! I feel a little more secure using fondant since it covers all my mistakes but now I have a challenge!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%