Half Sheet Dimensions?

Decorating By pinkflower1212 Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm by indydebi

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 4

I am totally confused regarding what is considered a Half Sheet Size. I usually don't make them, but a regualar customer is asking to purchase for a Retirement party at her office. I did a search on google, but everything that I've read, states a different size for what is a 1/4, 1/2 and a whole sheet. I'm so Confused... Can someone please clear this up for me?

Thanks in advance for your time.

3 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 4

There is no single standard. That's why you keep getting different answers. A "half sheet" can be anywhere from 11x15 to 12x18...approximately.

Ask your customer how many servings she needs and pick an appropriately sized rectangle. (Keeping in mind that a "sheet cake" of whatever size is typically about 2" high, as opposed to the tiers in a tiered cake which are usually taller.)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 4

Yep what Holly said. If cakers can't even agree on which size is which (though there is a clear cut answer, some people just make up sizes) then how is the general public suppose to know.

Instead of basing it off size base it off the number of servings that are needed. That way you and the customer are in agreement on how much cake they are getting and there can't be in confusions by what they thought was a half sheet and what you figured out a half sheet to be.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, there is an actual standard. The problem is the "new" people just call it whatever they want. And the problem is that odd size pans are being made for the home/hobby baker.

I cite as an example the CC'er who came on here and said, "An 11x15 is what will fit in my oven so I call that a full sheet." WTF?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since when did we determine cakes sizes by the size of our OVEN for gawd's sake!? icon_eek.gif

Here's a link re: cake sizes. Inside this thread is another link which states the odd sizes were pretty much made for the "housewife" market.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6802749.html#6802749

And another thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6799919.html#6799919

And another thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628706-.html

Pretty much:

18x24 = full sheet
12x18 = half sheet
9x12 = quarter sheet

But this is exactly why you should NEVER use the terms "full" or "half" when referring to sheet. Cake civilians, especially, have no freakin' idea what size a half or a full sheet is. I had a guy who works in the food industry who asked me for pricing for a full sheet. I asked how many people he was serving. He said TEN!!! I said, 'Then why in the world do you want to pay for 100 servings?"

Just ask them how many people they need to feed and then you tell them how big of a cake they need.

If a client asks for a quarter sheet and you DELIVER a quarter sheet, then the client will be ticked off at YOU because your cake only serves 24 and they have 60 people at their gathering. because they have no freakin' clue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%