First Bride!

Business By Stephy42088 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 1:36am by jenmat

Stephy42088 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 8

So I've just started my business and have my first consultation with a bride this evening. Any suggestions/ideas on what the agenda should be when I meet with her? I know she wanted cupcakes and I'm bringing her flavors to taste. Other than that I don't know much about what she wants. What should I go over with her and what questions should I ask? Thanks everyone!!

7 replies
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 8

basically what do YOU need to know?

- Where and when is the reception?
- (If you are unlicensed, do they permit unlicensed bakers in there?)
- What time will you have access for delivery ... and what time do you NEED access for delivery?
- Number of people invited AND number of people expected. These are two TOTALLY different numbers and will tell you a lot about the bride.
- Is it a cake/punch only reception? Will there be other food? What kind of food? Buffet or plated? Is there going to be a dessert bar or other desserts?
- Who is cutting the cake? If a family member is cutting the cake, ask if they KNOW how to cut a wedding cake? If not, refer them to my "how to cut a wedding cake" blog or just tell her you have a great how-to that you will print out and leave on the cake table. (oh wait! I just realized you said she wanted cupcakes! Never mind! icon_redface.gif )
- What is her budget, how much did she plan to spend? (most will hesitate to answer this question. It's the "Fear of Used Car Salemen Mentality Syndrome".) Explain that the final design is dependent on the price, so you need a general idea so you can come up with something she will like AND will fit inside her budget.

And THEN you can start talking about the cake......! icon_biggrin.gif

- If she wants multiple flavors, remind her that when there are multiple flavors, many people will have multiple cupcakes so she might want to order extra.

joelma Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Stephy, I haven't done a wedding cake yet. The questions I will ask a bride are:

1. How many servings?
2. What time is the wedding?
3. Favorite colors from bride and groom
4. Buttercream or fondant?

Those are the questions I can figure out now. I also will just cheat a lot. Let her tell you about her wedding plans and try to combine what she wants and what you would like to do. I also believe that just one meeting isn't enough. I also will not give her a final price on the first meeting because you must have time to found out how much this will cost you. Try to enjoy the meeting and make notes! I wish you Good Luck!

Stephy42088 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks!! That's very helpful! I'm sure its an ongoing learning experience!

pugmama1 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 8

You might also ask if there will be someone there when you do deliver so that you have help and have someone who signs off on the delivery. Also ask about her color scheme. Do they want a small cake to cut and the design for that? Do they have a stand for the cupcakes or will you be providing that- will you need a deposit for that?-how will you get it back? Is there a table set aside for just the cupcakes or will they be part of a buffet table or dessert table? What color and design wrappers will they want?

Katiebelle74 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 8

I always feed them the samples first breaks the ice. Then I ask if she has any designs she has seen and liked and more on to the more and more technical/detailed questions Indydeb mentioned

nonilm Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 8

If you have time you may want to have pictures of ideas you may have. If she doesn't know what she wants she will definitely know what she doesn't want.

jenmat Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #8 of 8

You may want to have a checklist available to fill in all the answers to your questions. That way while you're talking you won't forget anything important.

Quote by @%username% on %date%