Moms Of Hs Daughters- Take A Look.

Decorating By _beckett_ Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm by cheeseball

_beckett_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_beckett_ Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 8

I have a friend of a friend who wants a hs graduation cake for her daughter. It's only 50 people but she wants a 3 tiered cake, top being a grad hat and little fondant detail and piping around the whole cake. We're talking ipod, sports, books, friends, travel, etc. Plus it's 2 hours away. If I charge 250, 200 for cake and 50 for travel, does this sound reasonable? This is just a hobby but I learned the time that goes into these cakes and don't want to rip myself off either. I'm not charging bakery prices. I need an opinion from a mom.

7 replies
honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 8

I am not sure you could charge people for cakes if you are not a licensed baker icon_confused.gif
confused!
- h

_beckett_ Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 8

I am licensed and insured but it's still a hobby.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 8

Since it's only for 50 ppl have you thought about doing 2 tiers with a fondant/gumpaste cap on top??

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 8

It's hard to say if that's a reasonable price without knowing your general location. Prices in NYC are very different from prices in Iowa, for example.

_beckett_ Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 8

I have but she seems pretty set on what she wants. Usually I get free range but she came at me with details of exactly what she wanted including a train somewhere in there and piping. Not to mention the dozen other things that she wants included. This is new for me, having the client be so specific. I'm up for the challenge and did tell her 250. Figured with everything including a 2 hour delivery, that's not to bad. Plus, I'm telling myself that it's for hungry kids so the portions are probably going to be bigger than what gets cut for a wedding.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by _beckett_

. I'm up for the challenge and did tell her 250.

If you have already told her $250.00 you shouldn't really go up in price and you don't need to go back in price... the only reason I should think it would change in your pricing is if she throws something else at you in terms of decorations.

Either way, the math is $5.00 a serving... I think the only thing I'd have figured differently is that being the price of the cake ($250.00) and probably charging upwards of $40.00 for delivery. Total $290.00...

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by _beckett_

she seems pretty set on what she wants. she came at me with details of exactly what she wanted including a train somewhere in there and piping. Not to mention the dozen other things that she wants included. This is new for me, having the client be so specific.

If she has very specific ideas and your skill level is up to it, then "reasonable price" isn't the watchword, "custom" is icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%