I Have A Few ?'s About Cakes

Decorating By bluerose26 Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 5:58pm by Bskinne

bluerose26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluerose26 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 6

Where do you buy dowels at? when making a 2 tier cake is its always best to put a board under the 2nd tier then when its to be served take the 2 tiers apart? Can you use differnent things for dowels? Someone on here used straws for dowels. and how many dowels should be used for 2 tier cake?

this is the cake im planning on makeing

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-bluerose26.html

also do i coat the cones in icing then roll them in sprinkles to get them to look the way they do in the picture?

also are the butterflys and letters made out of fondant?

thanks

5 replies
Lorraine25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorraine25 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 6

@ any craft store that sells cakes supplies you should be able to get them. Thay come in plastic and wood. to stack them here is a link

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 6

You can buy dowels at any store that carries cake supplies like Michaels or WalMart or a cake decorating store. I use the bubble tea straws. They won't displace cake and are much easier to cut! I always use cardboard between layers. The second layer will rest on the dowels or straws instead of putting pressure on the lower cake. If the board were not there, there would only be cake pushing against the dowels and they will push through cake! I would use 5 straws or dowels. You don't want too many!

It looks like the cones are actually made using a star tip or drop flower tip and then maybe sprinkled with sanding sugar.

The letters and butterflies are made of either gumpaste or fondant!

Good luck and remember that your daughter will love it no matter if it doesn't look exactly like this one! So if you aren't quite sure about part of it, change it. I always put my own interpretation on my cakes! Don't forget to post your pics!

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 6

Keep in mind that any cake needs support about every 4 inches with cardboard and dowels...it gets heavy...
You can find a lot of good tutorials on princess cakes like this. Just search for it...I know I have seen a lot explaining the use of ice cream cones on a cake.

bluerose26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluerose26 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Keep in mind that any cake needs support about every 4 inches with cardboard and dowels...it gets heavy...
You can find a lot of good tutorials on princess cakes like this. Just search for it...I know I have seen a lot explaining the use of ice cream cones on a cake.

Tutorials where? links?

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 6

You can google it. You might be able to get ideas from here: http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/princess-castle-cake.html
Here's a video:
http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-7094674.html
But you will just have to look around. Google it, or search it on the galleries here...many people have on their comments how they made the cakes, or you can PM them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%