Decorating A Wedding Cake 'schedule'

Decorating By alecialondon Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm by catlharper

alecialondon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alecialondon Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there,

I'm doing my first wedding cake this weekend and it will be a stacked 6", 8", 10". I have all the sponge cakes baked and in the freezer, but I'm not sure how to go about planning my week (I work full time but have taken Friday off) and the cake will be picked up Friday afternoon. I've read lots of other posts and I've planned the below...

Monday/Tuesday - make butter cream, make blossoms
Wednesday night - Partically defrost (I assume I leave the cakes wrapped?), then tort and fill each cake. Leave in the fridge to settle.
Thursday night - Cover with fondant and stack.
Friday morning/afternoon - Decorate with the cascading blossoms ready for the cake to be picked up at 4:30pm

Does this sounds about right - any suggestions?

Thanks team!

Alecia

9 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 10

It looks like a good schedule. You've given yourself plenty of time to get things done plus allow for any unforeseen emergencies.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 10

so you're talking about 2.5 days of having the cake unthawed before the wedding on Saturday? How fresh will it be then? I don't do fondant, so don't know...does fondant keep it that fresh? I personally would not want my wedding cake to be that old.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 10

this is my schedule (this week in fact)

Mon-Tues: bake cakes, level, torte, wrap each layer in press and seal then wrap together again with press and seal, freeze.
Wed: Make fondant and buttercream
Thurs: Unwrap, fill/crumbcoat and let sit out for at least 3 hours if not overnight
Friday: Cover room temperature and settled cakes with fondant and then decorate. (you never want to put a final coat of buttercream or fondant on a cold cake)
Saturday: Put any finishing touches on the cake and deliver.

This is for the 3 tier cake I'm doing this week. If there were more tiers or more elaborate piping to do on each tier I would work on them after the 3 hour settling/room temp time on Thursday and finish them on Friday.

Cat

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 10

I'm with Cat.

PS the cake won't settle if it's in the fridge.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'm with Cat.

PS the cake won't settle if it's in the fridge.

and will have a greater chance of becoming too dry.....

alecialondon Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks all, that's really helpful!

Ok so thanks to your advice the cakes won't be going in the fridge but it looks like I'll stick to my plan given it is being picked up on Friday afternoon.

One more quick question....
I'm going to crumbcoat with buttercream tonight and fondant cover tomorrow - the BC will obviously crust overnight so do I need to add another thin layer for the fondant to adhere to, or lightly dampen it with water, or just pop the fondant straight on?

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 10

You can mist the buttercream with water VERY lightly before placing the fondant on the next day.

Cat

alecialondon Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:18am
post #9 of 10

Thanks Cat - worked perfectly!
thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 10

Yea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%