Opinons Needed...how Did This Happen.

Decorating By reginaherrin Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm by cakes47

reginaherrin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, so I had a one of my customers come to me a while ago for a wedding cake but the date she needed it I was totally booked and could not do her cake. I felt really bad but could do nothing about it. So I gave her a few other bakeries around the area to try. She chose another bakery from the list I gave her. Her wedding was last week and she just emailed me to tell me about the cake. She said it tasted really good but she said the bottom tier (it was a 3 tiered cake) "collapsed" and sent me a picture of the cake. She wanted to know why I thought the cake would do this. Once I looked a the picture I saw it really did not collapse it just kinda fell over, at least the bottom tier. Now she was trying to save money and had a friend on hers pick the cake up and not have it delivered. It was a buttercream cake with red velvet and sugar free spice cake for the middle tier. My opinion was that it was tilted during delivery but wanted to see what anyone else thought. I did contact the bakery and they don't understand why that would happen since it had been had been stacked up all day before they picked it up and was in the fridge and had a lot of cake supports. I feel really bad for her, she is a repeat customer.
LL

13 replies
pvcat2000 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 14

From the picture it looks like the cake was not put on a level surface when delivered.
I agree that it does not look like it collapsed, but started to slide off the cake board. It would happen if put on a car seat which is not level but sloped.

weirkd Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 14

I had something like this happen to me when I was doing a delivery. A car in front of me slammed on their brakes which made me slam on mine. The impact of it made the bottom tier slide forward.
I also think that with the heat, if their car wasnt air conditioned for atleast ten or fifteen minutes before sticking the cake in it, that it would cause the cake to have condensation. So they stop suddenly (most people dont know how to drive with a cake in the back) and their it goes!!

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 14

I feel confident saying that it was a result of the transport and no fault of the bakery.

The cake definitely looks like it experienced a rough ride in the car and either a sharp turn or hard braking.

TX is hot this time of year, so I also suspect that the cake may have been allowed to overheat.

The bride chose the "risk" of no delivery, so anything that happened after it left the shop is on hers and the driver's shoulders.

Rae

CrumblesConfections Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 14

I think it has to do with transport as well. Also, it's not a good idea to have just anyone handling cake because some people don't know how. Who's to say the person didn't stop to complete and errand and leave the car off with the cake inside? That will definitely kill a cake, especially here in TX. When I travel with a cake, I try to pre-air condition the car before putting the cake inside so it's not going directly into a hot car. That's why it's wise to pay the extra money and have the bakery deliver the cake because they will take the extra needed precautionary steps to make sure the cake arrives in the right condition. So sorry this happened to your customer.

Lorraine25 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 14

I agree with the previous post delivering problem, a bump on the road or while the cake was in the car no airconditioner or left in the car for too long but not the bakery fault.

reginaherrin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 14

I am soooo glad that you all have the same opinion about why the cake did what it did because I know the owner of the bakery that did this and we are good friends. I really did not think it was the bakeries fault and feel 100% better knowing that others think the same. Thanks so much for all your input. I loving having a forum like this to get others input.

reginaherrin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaherrin

I am soooo glad that you all have the same opinion about why the cake did what it did because I know the owner of the bakery that did this and we are good friends. I really did not think it was the bakeries fault and feel 100% better knowing that others think the same. Thanks so much for all your input. I loving having a forum like this to get others input.

I feel really bad for her now cause I just forgot that she offered her a free cake which she is making for the customer next week cause she thought it was her fault.

kansaslaura Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 14

Friends don't let friends drive their wedding cakes around!! YIPES it looks totally like someone who had NO clue how to drive with a cake in the car. I'm pretty sure they figured it was in a box so what could happen. Sorry they offered a free cake, it really does not appear to be their fault!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:

Quote:

I feel really bad for her now cause I just forgot that she offered her a free cake which she is making for the customer next week cause she thought it was her fault.

I feel sad for your friend who made the cake, it does not in anyway look like her fault.I agree with others, whoever picked it up did not know how to drive and handle it in the right way..

cakesdivine Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 14

This is why I have a strict policy of NO PICK UPS on custom tiered cakes! The only tiered cakes I allow to be picked up is my 3 tier 6/8/10 stacked econoline cakes and they must sign a waiver stating that they take full responsibility for any damage to the cake after they walk out the door with it. If they are going to invest a good chunk of money for a cake then they need to make sure they have it delivered. It is kind of like insurance. You wouldn't invest a large sum of money on something and not make sure you had some sort of insurance in place.

reginaherrin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 14

I will tell her what everyone is saying and I am sure it will make her feel better. The customer did not want any money back or anything but she felt bad and offered a free cake anyways.

Loucinda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 14

Looks to me like it was placed on a seat of car (which we all know LEANS) It may not have had anything to do with braking...just having it on a seat leaning back would do that, IMO. No matter what, it wasn't the fault of the baker - that is a problem that the delivery person caused.

cakes47 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm
post #14 of 14

I agree with everyone else. They could have tilted the box without realizing it while
carrying it or taking it out of the car!! But I sure wouldn't put any blame on the
baker/decorator!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%