Royal Vs Buttercream Dots & Scrolls

Decorating By CakesbyCarla Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 10:59am by minicuppie

CakesbyCarla Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 6

Just taking a survey. If you were asked to do a buttercream wedding cake with scrolls and dots, would you prefer to do that scroll/dot work with royal icing or buttercream? Does one or the other work better in terms of sticking to the BC? Is one or the other easier to work with for making fluid scrolls etc?

Thoughts...pros and cons of either one...Thanks!

5 replies
minicuppie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 6

RI breaks down when it touches fat, so BC would be the best bet, IMO. See you are channeling Sylvia Weinstock, lolol!

CakesByJen2 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 6

I use both. Royal icing will show up better and look crisper and neater against a BC background. BC details on BC tend to blend in if they are small and monochromatic. I have used royal icing on BC many times for stringwork, dots, piped lacework, etc. It does not break down; it just doesn't dry quite as hard as it would otherwise.

If I'm doing very fine details and need the contrast to make them pop, or if they will be painted with gold or silver, I use royal. If it's simple swiss dots and larger scrolls, I usually just go ahead and use BC, unless I already have some royal icing made up for something else.

The 50th anniversary cake in my pics is a BC cake with royal icing piping painted with gold dust. It survived a 5 hour car trip in July, which included a flat tire and a ride in a police car to the nearest garage to get a new tire put on, so you can see the royal holds up just fine on BC.

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 6

I never use RI on anything cake. Never have. never saw the need. You can pretty much do just about anything in BC that you can do in RI.

I know some people tell me that I "need" to use royal to do stringwork and other intricate detail, but I've done all of that in BC and it worked out fine.

I just dont' like making 2 different icings for one cake. I'm basically a lazy person! icon_lol.gif

CakesbyCarla Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much for our input everyone. I looked at your photo cakesbyjen2 and it looked great. Good to know Royal will hold up so well in adversity. icon_wink.gif

Indy - I agree. I hate making two kinds also unless I have to. I do like using royal for certain things but I usually only use it for things that need to dry hard and I attach them at a later time.

Now I'll have to do some mulling for my next project. Thanks!

P.S. Minicuppie- Yes, I am channeling Sylvia! ha!

minicuppie Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:59am
post #6 of 6

You could do worse. Saw a pic of her and the hubs on a red carpet the other day. Looking great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%