coldtropics Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:12am
post #1 of

Ok... I'm worn of the regular ganaches, curds and creams. Im looking for something delicious and Im out of creative juices. Not interested in anything made of bettercream/pastry pride or coffee creamer. No offense to anyone but I'm a scratch baker and those things just arent part of my repertoire. Thanks for generously sharing in advance. icon_smile.gif

31 replies
luvmysmoother Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:16am
post #2 of

How about adding chopped chocolate bars to the fillings (like Mars. peanut butter cups) - I am also looking for creative fillings - I'm really getting tired of nutella, ganache, and pie fillings all the timeicon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #3 of

I'm making my own wedding cake in December and I was thinking of a pumpkin spice cake with praline filling. I've seen a few ideas, but I haven't tried any yet. I think the most simple is mixing praline paste with Italian Meringue buttercream. I saw a cooked one on the Wilton website which I bookmarked to use.

What about "spicing" up your regular fillings using crushed candies? Like Andes mints for mint chocolate chip or Valrhona chocolate pearls for a crunchy surprise? Or a Snicker's bar filling in a chocolate cake using homemade caramel and adding peanuts? Crushed Oreos mixed in with real lightly sweetened whipped cream is awesome! You should probably add something in the whipped cream to stabilize it so it doesn't deflate though.

I'm not that creative so I look at other things for inspiration. Even though you're a scratch baker you should check out the Google doc in the Gourmet Flavors thread. There are a lot of filling recipes in there which don't necessarily use Bettercreme or pudding mixes. Personally, I think Bettercreme is overrated. With the way everyone talks about it, I was expecting to be blown away. It tastes identical to Cool Whip but it's shelf-stable for up to seven days. I have made lots of tasty fillings with it before but by itself it's not that impressive.

I am a combo box/scratch person. I do whatever I feel like on a whim. But then again I'm only a hobby baker so it's not a big deal for now. Hope my ideas help.

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #4 of

I forgot to add, earlier when I was eating a piece of baklava from my favorite restaurant, I thought of a baklava cake. You could have a rich butter cake soaked in a honey syrup and your filling could be the nut mixture. Yum!

3GCakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of

I really like "chewing".....it's one of the reasons I love a loaded carrot cake...nuts, raisins, carrots...I also love "loaded" ice cream.

That said....anything crushed up or added that will add some "chew" to a cake is gold for me.

I also want to add more "savory" to my cakes. Personally, I love sweet/hot combos. I'd love to find a way to put some crunch and heat into my cakes. Even thought about using stove-top popcorn and maybe red pepper....layered with some apricot jam and WASC cake. (I know most people will find that revolting...but that's ok...I agree it's not for everyone).

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:09am
post #6 of

That's not unusual. I have seen chocolate bars with peppers, and also chocolate with cinnamon. I think most Mexican chocolate products have cinnamon.

Speaking of things revolting, I went to a candy store in PA several months ago and they had chocolate covered bacon. Would you believe it was THE BOMB??!!!! My fiance and I had to try it. I'm glad we did!

3GCakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

That's not unusual. I have seen chocolate bars with peppers, and also chocolate with cinnamon. I think most Mexican chocolate products have cinnamon.

Speaking of things revolting, I went to a candy store in PA several months ago and they had chocolate covered bacon. Would you believe it was THE BOMB??!!!! My fiance and I had to try it. I'm glad we did!




It sounds delicious! Right up my alley!

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #8 of

Another thing which I think is gross...a guy who works with me puts rainbow sprinkles and nutmeg on his Kraft Easy Mac, which he asks me to help him make because he can't eyeball a cup of water out of the faucet. LOL!

3GCakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Another thing which I think is gross...a guy who works with me puts rainbow sprinkles and nutmeg on his Kraft Easy Mac, which he asks me to help him make because he can't eyeball a cup of water out of the faucet. LOL!




Goodness...that's a lot to stomach, even for me! And they are two of my favorite foods. I LOVE sprinkles. I wish ice cream could have several layers of sprinkles instead of only one.

I like Red pepper on my Easy Mac. Or hot sauce (Tapatio is good, because it's hot without the vinegar taste....can't stand the vinegar).

Another thought I had for filling is pretzels with (you name it...could work with anything).....peanut butter, nutella, IMBC, White choco IMBC, red pepper and pretzels.....hmmm.

Probably been done by someone before.

coldtropics Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:54am

I never put anything other than fruit purees and chocolate/caramel in my buttercream... it hadnt even dawned on me to try the chopped candies. And I LOVE baklava... my sister makes the absolute best. I am def. going to try the honey soaked cake with the nut filling prob mix it up with some buttercream.... AWESOME idea. I think ill pass on the macaronie though.. Thanks guys.... icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:28am

What about changing the idea of filling altogether? I would love a cake that actually had a layer of baklava in the middle.

Other ideas: cheesecake as filling, fudge as filling (fruit flavors abound), that candy confection filling for buckeyes(peanut butter cup).

Layers of cake can be soaked in home made syrups(fruits and nuts and spices). The soaked cake will be more like a filling.

Gelatin can offer a multitude of ideas. Straight up jello if done right. However, there are some interesting whipped concoctions that no longer resemble the clear stuff that can be great carriers for fruit flavors as well as some more sophisticated flavors.

This could be the beginning of a good thread!

dawncr Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:53am

Re: Bacon & Cake

I remembered that Rylan had a recipe for bacon fudge brownies on his blog, but I couldn't find it. I think he's removed it since he's eschewed meat.

Here is an interesting recipe for bacon chocolate cake:
http://tinyurl.com/2cctxdu
And, call me crazy, but I think the bacon chocolate chip cookies look really good:
http://tinyurl.com/yl8e3b2

I don't even like bacon all that much, but combine it with chocolate, and I'm sold!

tavyheather Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:56am
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

That's not unusual. I have seen chocolate bars with peppers, and also chocolate with cinnamon. I think most Mexican chocolate products have cinnamon.

Speaking of things revolting, I went to a candy store in PA several months ago and they had chocolate covered bacon. Would you believe it was THE BOMB??!!!! My fiance and I had to try it. I'm glad we did!




that's the new thing out here. A posh cupcakes store offers bacon choc cupcakes and another bakery sells bacon brownies. Supposed to be amazing. Also saw it at the county fair...choc covered bacon. Goodness we're a fat loving country!

dawncr Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:03am

I'm so behind the curve on this one.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-649364-bacon.html

egensinnig Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:09am

I do a lot of fillings based on candy in all sorts of flavours and forms. I heat up double cream and melt gelatine candy, chocolate, liquorice, fudge, or toffes in the heated cream. It's essential that you don't let it boil. Chill it for 6 hours or over night in the fridge. Then just whip it like you would with a ganache or plain whipping cream. This way you can create so many flavours - both kids and adult love this. My husband love liquorice fudge in one layer and lemon toffee in the other.
Gelatine 60-80 gr to 3 dl cream
Chocolate, fudge or toffee- 120-180 gr to 3 dl cream

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:41am
Quote:
Quote:

I LOVE sprinkles. I wish ice cream could have several layers of sprinkles instead of only one.




It CAN. icon_smile.gif The soft serve place down the street layers them with the ice cream in a cup for us, but they also put an inch and a half of sprinkles in the bottom. My fiance used to turn his nose up at sprinkles, but he's addicted to them now!

I think the logic behind sprinkles on macaroni was because he couldn't get his kids to eat his vegetables or something so he started putting sprinkles on their food. So he adopted the practice for himself. LOL!

Hey for another cool filling idea, you could do chocolate chip cookie dough but leave out the eggs. I think there's a recipe on that Google docs thread I was telling you about. The cheesecake one is a good idea too. I've also heard about people baking a giant cookie and trimming the perimeter to fit the cake, then layering that with some buttercream for a filling. That could be interesting.

The same website where I found the Valrhona crunchy chocolate pearls also has containers of nougat and stuff which would be cool for a filling. You may be able to find that stuff cheaper (or even make it) yourself, but it's a cool website to look at ingredients for fillings.

Speaking of nougat-I just got another idea! Toblerone filling: ganache mixed with nougat pieces and finely ground almonds. Alternatively, I guess you could just chop up a Toblerone bar and mix it in with the ganache. But I like the idea of a giant soft candy bar in between cake layers. The more bad for ya the better!

Here's that website that has all the cool ingredients:

http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/index.html

egensinnig Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm

You can just use Toblerone for ganache - same procedure icon_smile.gif I do it with all kind of chocolate and candy

confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:45pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes


I also want to add more "savory" to my cakes. Personally, I love sweet/hot combos. I'd love to find a way to put some crunch and heat into my cakes. Even thought about using stove-top popcorn and maybe red pepper....layered with some apricot jam and WASC cake. (I know most people will find that revolting...but that's ok...I agree it's not for everyone).




This is not a filling but, I made a very light chocolate cake (almost golden in color) a couple months ago that had chipotle chili powder, espresso powder, and cinnamon in it. First you tasted chocolate, then the smokiness of the chipotle, then a hint of cinnamon, and then the spice hits you! My family hated it but I think the right person would love it. I filled it with caramel and iced it with chocolate ganache. I wanted to try it after I ate some gelato that was the same flavor idea.

I'd love new ideas for fillings too. I use curds a lot and I love them but something different would be great.

HaydenSC Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm

How about a nice lemon curd with whole fresh blueberries as a filling? I suggest this for cakes when blueberries are in season and it is so good! If you don't want the whole blueberries, you can make a compote with some blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and a little cornstarch. I found a great recipe for one in Gourmet. You can find it on Epicurious under the lemon ice cream sandwiches with blueberry swirl. Delicious! I like to take the compote and add it to plain non fat greek yogurt. Talk about good!! icon_biggrin.gif
Take the compote and swirl it a little with the lemon curd and use it as the filling.
HTH!

ycknits Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:59pm

How about infusing the cream that you use in your fillings with a subtle flavor? Warm the cream with spices, like whole cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamon, etc. Or add a tea bag - chai, constant comment.... whatever appeals to you at the moment. There are so many wonderful combinations and this gives a very sophisticated but subtle flavor. How about fresh herbs - lavendar or basil? I make a homemade basil icecream this way that is to die for. And, of course, there's always the liquor cabinet :>) What doesn't go well with chocolate generally goes well with white chocolate.

JaeRodriguez Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm

Oh man, I love chocolate covered bacon! and I also candied bacon and it was AMAZING!

errr... I should probably add that when I discovered my love of choco/candied bacon, I was pregnant! Lol by DH tried it and he couldn't quit eating it either!

Why are you against using coffee creamer in your fillings? Have you tried them? I mean I am a scratch baker and I use creamer in my BC/filling along with tons of different things (candy, fruit etc etc) and the creamer only enhances the flavors. It's great! :] (Just a suggestion, btw not being snarky!)

JaeRodriguez Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm

Oh, btw my friend just made a red velvet cake and used a layer of cheese cake as filling I think that would be amazing! :] So much more then just using a cream cheese filling!

tavyheather Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

Oh man, I love chocolate covered bacon! and I also candied bacon and it was AMAZING!

errr... I should probably add that when I discovered my love of choco/candied bacon, I was pregnant! Lol by DH tried it and he couldn't quit eating it either!

Why are you against using coffee creamer in your fillings? Have you tried them? I mean I am a scratch baker and I use creamer in my BC/filling along with tons of different things (candy, fruit etc etc) and the creamer only enhances the flavors. It's great! :] (Just a suggestion, btw not being snarky!)




I'm thinking she meant b/c coffee creamers are completely chemical. I am a scratch baker and although creamers can make things taste really yummy, they are not natural and therefore make things a bit less authentic, Kwim? It might be a regional thing..out here in CA we shy away from things that are not all-natural, it's just commonplace in some states...

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm

LOL, Here in texas revel in the not "all-natural"...heeheeeicon_smile.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

That's not unusual. I have seen chocolate bars with peppers, and also chocolate with cinnamon. I think most Mexican chocolate products have cinnamon.

Speaking of things revolting, I went to a candy store in PA several months ago and they had chocolate covered bacon. Would you believe it was THE BOMB??!!!! My fiance and I had to try it. I'm glad we did!



that's the new thing out here. A posh cupcakes store offers bacon choc cupcakes and another bakery sells bacon brownies. Supposed to be amazing. Also saw it at the county fair...choc covered bacon. Goodness we're a fat loving country!




Definitely not a country in poverty, that's for sure! I was just discussing choco-covered bacon yesterday.

tweeter_bug98 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm

[quote="AnnieCahill"]

Quote:
Quote:




Speaking of nougat-I just got another idea! Toblerone filling: ganache mixed with nougat pieces and finely ground almonds. Alternatively, I guess you could just chop up a Toblerone bar and mix it in with the ganache. But I like the idea of a giant soft candy bar in between cake layers. The more bad for ya the better!





Ooooh! Toblerone filling.

I think a cheesecake filling would awesome.

BrightDelights Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm

Tyler Florence made a yummy looking salted caramel the other day on Tyler's Ultimate. It looked like it would make an awesome filling.

tavyheather Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

LOL, Here in texas revel in the not "all-natural"...heeheeeicon_smile.gif




LOL, we know...y'all have a reputation out here w/ us pretentious all-nat-u-ral eaters icon_wink.gif

Charmed Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

I do a lot of fillings based on candy in all sorts of flavours and forms. I heat up double cream and melt gelatine candy, chocolate, liquorice, fudge, or toffes in the heated cream. It's essential that you don't let it boil. Chill it for 6 hours or over night in the fridge. Then just whip it like you would with a ganache or plain whipping cream. This way you can create so many flavours - both kids and adult love this. My husband love liquorice fudge in one layer and lemon toffee in the other.
Gelatine 60-80 gr to 3 dl cream
Chocolate, fudge or toffee- 120-180 gr to 3 dl cream




could you please let me know what is dl? and can heavey cream be used instead of double cream: thumbs_up.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:49pm

Could it be a deciliter?

deciliter - a metric unit of volume equal to one tenth of a liter

Check out onlineconversion.com. It's a helpful site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%