Best Silcone Mat For Fondant?

Decorating By DarleneP Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 1:09am by DarleneP

DarleneP Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 29

I was thinking of buying the Ateco 36 x 24 blue one but I thought I would check with all of you first - just in case there was a better one to invest in. I am a newbie but am thoroughly enjoying the group.

Also I am thinking of buying Perfecting the Art of Buttercream DVD by Sharon Zambito. It sounds like it would be helpful.

TIA....

-Darlene

28 replies
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 29

The Ateco looks like a good one. I'm too cheap though. icon_lol.gif I buy vinyl by the yard at Wal-Mart for $2.02 @ yard and cut it to whatever sizes that I need. If it ever gets wrinkles in it you can spray it off with hot water and the wrinkles fall out....love the stuff because it's so cheap.

Buy the DVD.

frankdiabetes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 29

I have the blue Ateco mat, I like it a lot but I've heard people say they've bought pieces of vinyl that work just as well.

And yes to the buttercream DVD...actually, yes to all of her DVDs. They're amazingly informative.

Mamawrobin, you always beat me to the punch! You must have super fast fingers. thumbs_up.gif

DarleneP Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #4 of 29

mamawrobin - thinks for the tip. Since Walmart is huge which department should I look in for vinyl?

I thought the viddeo would be good.

Thank you very much....

-Darlene

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:15am
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneP

mamawrobin - thinks for the tip. Since Walmart is huge which department should I look in for vinyl?

I thought the viddeo would be good.

Thank you very much....

-Darlene




The fabric department. They'll cut it for you. There are several different 'gauges' I think I usually buy the med. gauge. but any of it will be fine.

grandmomof1 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:16am
post #6 of 29

Starting out, I was told not to get the expensive mats because they are not large enough to roll fondant for the larger cakes. I went to Hancock Fabrics and bought the thicker clear table vinyl and use it to roll all mine. Works great for a fraction of the cost. ($5.99 a yard I think) I bought a yard and cut it into two different sizes. One piece will accommodate the 18" cake. The other I use for smaller pieces. I also bought a piece of thick PVC for storage. Just roll the vinyl up and put it inside. This keeps the vinyl from folding and becoming damaged. I do not cut on the vinyl I use to roll out. I move it to a cut mat. Love it!!!

DarleneP Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:16am
post #7 of 29

Frankdiabetes - thank you. It is always good when someone endorses a product. I am thinking of the Ateco mat for big projects and to get the vinyl to cut up for little mats....They say you can cut the Ateco but for the price.eeekk icon_surprised.gif

DarleneP Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #8 of 29

Mamawrobin my walmart doesn't sell fabric anymore BUT I am near a joann's so I am sure I can find something-thank you for the great tip! icon_biggrin.gif

DarleneP Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:22am
post #9 of 29

grandmomof1 - thanks for the tip-esp the pvc pipe to store them -great idea!

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneP

Mamawrobin my walmart doesn't sell fabric anymore BUT I am near a joann's so I am sure I can find something-thank you for the great tip! icon_biggrin.gif




That's too bad..it's much cheaper there.....told ya I'm cheap...LOL...anyway the thing I like about the vinyl mat is that if I have a big cake to cover I can roll my fondant out on the vinyl and flip the whole thing over on my cake and peel the vinyl away. It makes it easier for me to do it that way when I'm covering a cake that's 14" or larger.

Karen421 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #11 of 29

Check any fabric store. I found some at Hancock Fabrics for 3.79 a yard. Not as cheap as Walmart, but since they took the fabric departments out of most them, it was the best option.

DarleneP Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:09am
post #12 of 29

Mamawrobin-I did it I bought some vinyl at Joann's-got it for $4.99 a yard and it is a huge piece-for a table I think-plus I got 40% off-Yea! I will try that for my first attempts at rolling fondant. Now I think I will put that $30 I just saved towards some magic line square pans! icon_biggrin.gif

Malakin Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:15am
post #13 of 29

I bought the Ateco and haven't regretted a single thing. I love it. I roll out fondant to cover an 16" and it's big enough for that.
I also have most everything Sugarshack has on DVD and watch everything over and over and over again! Luv em both.

DarleneP Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #14 of 29

Thank you malakin-I am getting the video!

DarleneP Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #15 of 29

Got some Karen421-thank you for your help.

cownsj Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #16 of 29

We use the vinyl from Walmart as well. We both love how it works. The medium gauge is great for the little extra flexibility it offers. We keep a square plastic container on the shelf, and have it laying on it's side with the front elevated just an inch or so. We roll all our mats to put it in there, plus our large rolling pins and the "paint" roller we use to smooth our buttercream. Everything stays together nicely and it's always easy to just grab what we need.

Price Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:53am
post #17 of 29

Definitely a yes to Sugarshack's DVDs. I have the blue mat, A wilton mat with markings on it, AN Ateco mat that is tan with blue around the edge, and the Walmart vinyl. I like my blue mat the best.

DarleneP Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:34am
post #18 of 29

Thank you crownsj-I appreciate your help.

DarleneP Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #19 of 29

Price-I am definitely getting the video! May I ask why the blue Ateco is your favorite?

cownsj Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneP

Thank you crownsj-I appreciate your help.




Glad I could be of some help. That's what we're all here for. I know I've survived a few catastrophe's because of the kind help of others here.

GenGen Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:50am
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

The Ateco looks like a good one. I'm too cheap though. icon_lol.gif I buy vinyl by the yard at Wal-Mart for $2.02 @ yard and cut it to whatever sizes that I need. If it ever gets wrinkles in it you can spray it off with hot water and the wrinkles fall out....love the stuff because it's so cheap.

Buy the DVD.




same here with the walmart thing. I used to go to the walmart that was in Lewiston Idaho (an hour from me) it closed and a new walmart/ a super walmart opened up in clarkston WA (across the river from lewiston) which is also the WA/ID border - sorry for the geography lesson lol

the new walmart doesn't have fabric anymore either which bites the big one for me cause i was going to be buying a new sewing machine recently. i can get it online but by the time i have to pay shipping i can just go to Joannes (my joannes too is nearby to this walmart) and get one for 20$+ more. ish..

(wanders off grumbling)

cownsj Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:57am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

The Ateco looks like a good one. I'm too cheap though. icon_lol.gif I buy vinyl by the yard at Wal-Mart for $2.02 @ yard and cut it to whatever sizes that I need. If it ever gets wrinkles in it you can spray it off with hot water and the wrinkles fall out....love the stuff because it's so cheap.

Buy the DVD.



same here with the walmart thing. I used to go to the walmart that was in Lewiston Idaho (an hour from me) it closed and a new walmart/ a super walmart opened up in clarkston WA (across the river from lewiston) which is also the WA/ID border - sorry for the geography lesson lol

the new walmart doesn't have fabric anymore either which bites the big one for me cause i was going to be buying a new sewing machine recently. i can get it online but by the time i have to pay shipping i can just go to Joannes (my joannes too is nearby to this walmart) and get one for 20$+ more. ish..

(wanders off grumbling)




Does your Walmart offer site-to-store? The shipping is free with that. Sometimes they ofer free shipping or reduced shipping on some items too.

MommaDukes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:53am
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneP

Mamawrobin-I did it I bought some vinyl at Joann's-got it for $4.99 a yard and it is a huge piece-for a table I think-plus I got 40% off-Yea! I will try that for my first attempts at rolling fondant. Now I think I will put that $30 I just saved towards some magic line square pans! icon_biggrin.gif




I am so glad I read this, I was getting ready to order the Ateco mat, so off to Joann's I will go with my 40% off coupon.
Gotta love those coupons. +)

Price Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #24 of 29

DarleneP - The blue mat just seems more flexible. It is a nice large size. I'm not in business, so it's really unusual for me to have to roll fondant any larger than the mat because I don't do many large cakes. I don't have to worry about the blue mat wrinkling and it stays in place on the table nicely. The Ateco mat that is tan, has threads that run through it, (I guess as a reinforcement). Those threads tend to cause a pattern on my fondant. I know I could probably smooth them out, but I like my fondant nice and smooth to start with. The Wilton mat, just seems a little thick and heavier. I use the Walmart vinyl sometimes, but for me it's a little harder to roll up and store. Then when I get it back out it doesn't lay flat on the table as nicely as the blue mat does. Each person is different, and what works for some, doesn't work for others. You just need to experiment and see what you like. The vinyl is the cheapest way to go, you might want to get a piece and try it before investing in a more expensive mat.

sweettoothmom1 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #25 of 29

I love my blue ateco mat. It works very well. cant recall why i stopped using my vinyl, but i think it was harder to handle, fondant sticks a little more. has few marks/creases from when i dont roll it exactly and it folds a bit.

DarleneP Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #26 of 29

Thanks Price. I was wondering if the mat would be a little easier for me being a newbie and all.... I too just make cakes for my family so I can't imagine I would ever be making a huge cake. But the vinyl will be great for my next Wilton cake class. They want us to roll it out on the back of the practice board icon_confused.gif yuckies..... icon_razz.gif

mamawrobin Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

DarleneP - The blue mat just seems more flexible. It is a nice large size. I'm not in business, so it's really unusual for me to have to roll fondant any larger than the mat because I don't do many large cakes. I don't have to worry about the blue mat wrinkling and it stays in place on the table nicely. The Ateco mat that is tan, has threads that run through it, (I guess as a reinforcement). Those threads tend to cause a pattern on my fondant. I know I could probably smooth them out, but I like my fondant nice and smooth to start with. The Wilton mat, just seems a little thick and heavier. I use the Walmart vinyl sometimes, but for me it's a little harder to roll up and store. Then when I get it back out it doesn't lay flat on the table as nicely as the blue mat does. Each person is different, and what works for some, doesn't work for others. You just need to experiment and see what you like. The vinyl is the cheapest way to go, you might want to get a piece and try it before investing in a more expensive mat.




Darlene, if you'll run really hot water over the vinyl it will lay flat just like new. I've even used a blow dryer on mine and the wrinkles fall right out.

AiringtonsCakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:43pm
post #28 of 29

do you have to grease or use 10x sugar on the vinyl? I have been rolling mine out on the kitchen table and have to use so much sugar and end up screaming because it sticks sometimes.

DarleneP Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:09am
post #29 of 29

mamawrobin you are the best. When are you going to start a school icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%