Fondant And Fillings

Decorating By wifey2kevin Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 3:34am by Texas_Rose

wifey2kevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wifey2kevin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #1 of 6

first i want to say that i have searched this and every time i click see more topics it says there are none available. icon_confused.gif i'm sure this is a repeat question and i'm sorry.

i'm a little confused. i know a cake covered with fondant should not be refrigerated. and i know it's not good to use cream based fillings in the hot summer months. so, how and when DO you use say a cream cheese filling in a cake covered with fondant? or is that a no no all the time. should that kind of filling only be used with a BC only cake?

5 replies
Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 6

I can tell you that I have used the Crusting Cream Cheese Icing recipe from CC and it has held up very well under fondant. I have filled and iced cakes using it. I will also mention that there are many that use a cream cheese variation of Indydebi's buttercream that seems to work well for others, but I've not personally tried that yet. HTH

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:58am
post #3 of 6

I think when people say cream filling they mean a pastry cream that is made with dairy products, cream cheese icing does not need that type of refrigeration

wifey2kevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wifey2kevin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:00am
post #4 of 6

i feel dumb asking, but if it's made with cream cheese it doesn't need to be kept cold?

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #5 of 6

I have seen multiple threads talking about how when cream cheese or milk is used in frosting, the sugar acts as a preservative

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:34am
post #6 of 6

Milk in a frosting usually doesn't need refrigeration. For cream cheese, it depends on the amount of cream cheese, and if there's a high enough proportion of sugar to cream cheese. You can't tell that on your own. Cream cheese recipes that have been tested and found to be shelf stable, like Earlene's, are okay.

I like to use mousse or pudding as fillings and I refrigerate the cake when it's got something like that, even when it has fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%