?'s About Cake Bases For Transporting

Decorating By Tabithascakes Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm by indydebi

Tabithascakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:38am
post #1 of 5

hello...i've never actually had to transport any of my cakes and i was wondering exactly what i would use...the cake is going to be very long and i wasn't sure if i would just double or tripple cardboard or what? whatever it is i would rather be able to decorate the cake on it then just take it from there....and also is it "safe" to cover the cardboard in wrapping paper? thank u in advance icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

4 replies
Loucinda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #2 of 5

I would use foamcore. If it is very long, I would even double the 1/2" foamcore to be sure. You can cover it with whatever you want, and it is very strong and lightweight.

Tabithascakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #3 of 5

ok thanks!!! but what is foamcore and where can i get it? LOL icon_biggrin.gif

tmelrose Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 5

Foamcore is bought at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. Its basically two super sturdy poster boards with thick foam sandwiched between. Get the 1/2 inch thick. Cool thing you can cut to whatever size and shape you need with exacto knife. You can then cover it with wrapping paper but then you must seal it with something food safe, like Glad Seal N Wrap. HTH

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 5

For my 12x18 cakes, I wrap 3 cardboards in cake foil and that works well.

For my 14x22 pan that I had, I went to Lowe's and had a piece of wood cut to size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%