I'm Not Sure I'll Ever Recover From My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By countrycaker Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 3:03pm by countrycaker

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #1 of 19

Well, I finally made my first wedding cake. Whew! At the end of it all my feet and calves were swollen double, my lower back was having spasms, and every step I took was painful. Did I mention the fact of being 8 months pregnant? When I agreed to do the cake I was only 2 months along and apparently had forgotten what it's like to be in the last trimester (it's been 6 years since the last one). Plus, I was just grateful that someone was willing to let me use them as my guinea pig for their wedding cake. It was definitely no fun. Maybe I should stick with cakes for less serious events. Or maybe I should check myself into an insane asylum for accepting the job in the first place. icon_confused.gif

18 replies
Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #2 of 19

I just looked at your picture of the cake, and it is BEAUTIFUL! You did a wonderful job on that cake! It may not have been the best idea to do it while 8 months pregnant icon_smile.gif , but IMO, you have a real talent! Don't lose faith! Not only was it your first wedding cake, which can be stressful in and of itself, but you did it under really challenging circumstances. And, like I said, you did it BEAUTIFULLY!

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 19

Oh, and congrats on your soon-to-be new arrival!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #4 of 19

You did a wonderful job - the cake is very nice!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #5 of 19

Your cake is beautiful thumbs_up.gif I have to ask...do you live in Arkansas? icon_lol.gif
That so looks like something you'd see around here. Lots of hunters in our area as well.
Put your feet up get the hubby to give you a backrub and a foot massage You've earned it. thumbs_up.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 19

Your cake is stunning and very different. I am happy for you that it was a success and I hope that by now you have recovered. Save those big cakes for down the road and stick to the smaller ones for while.

I really loved your cake.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:09am
post #7 of 19

You did a beautiful job on that cake. Really lovely work.

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #8 of 19

Your cake is beautiful! I just did my first wedding cake this weekend also! Of course I am not 8 months pregnant, but my husband was out of town all week, and my 5 and 7 year olds drove me crazy!!! I TOTALLY understand the stress and the day before it was done I was wondering WHY I wanted to do this!! LOL! But it was such a huge sense of accomplishment once it was all set up and the bride absolutely loved it! Made me want to go and make another one!!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #9 of 19

How pretty! Congratulations on your first wedding cake. Now it is time to relax a bit and finish preparing for your soon-to-be arrival!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:39am
post #10 of 19

Beautifully done!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:46am
post #11 of 19

I think you did a beautiful job. I think I have you topped with the tomboy bride. I made my cousins wedding cake last month and the bottom was chocolate fondant tree bark and the two top tiers were avocado green with green and brown grass strand elevating above the cake. I wasn't allowed to add any flowers or a cake topper. This is one I don't want in my photos.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:58am
post #12 of 19

Your cake turned out beautiful, you should be very proud, can't tell you had any problems. I go thru this every time I make a cake. Its so much work, and the stress involved, I think I don't need it. But then I start looking at all of the beautiful cakes on cc, that it gets me inspired to do another. I'm sure you will feel that way too.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:22am
post #13 of 19

Your cake is just beautiful, great job.

countrycaker Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you for all the positive feedback. I still haven't fully recovered from the whole experience, but the bride did say she loved the cake as did many of the guests. The decorator asked me to give her some business cards so she could give them out to future wedding clients. I think I'll wait on that one a little bit. Get through the rest of this pregnancy, have a baby, try to adjust to life with a new baby.....that kind of stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin: I'm actually in a small town in Utah. Lots of hunters, fishers, campers, hikers, etc. And don't even THINK about taking these people's guns away or you'll end up with a posse at your door! icon_lol.gif Not that I would do that. icon_wink.gif

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:29pm
post #15 of 19

countrycaker--beautiful cake! I am with you on the wedding cake stress, 100%. Love doing party cakes but not sure I want to do any wedding cakes on a regular basis. Which is partially why I haven't taken the business leap yet!! Congrats on the pregnancy icon_smile.gif

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:39am
post #16 of 19

Very nice. I'm sure they were very pleased with it. The cake looks fab!

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #17 of 19

You did an amazing job. Congrats on your soon-to-be new arrival.

Miag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miag829 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:59am
post #18 of 19

The cake was really beautiful! I am 8 months pregnant as well and have two more wedding cakes scheduled before I have the little one so I feel your pain! Wish me luck cause I'm going to need it...

countrycaker Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:03pm
post #19 of 19

Oh, yikes! Definitely wishing you lots of luck, Miag829! Why do we do these things to ourselves?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%