Birthday Cake For My Son

Decorating By jacksons_mom Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm by honeylambbakery

jacksons_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacksons_mom Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #1 of 2

I am starting to think of ideas for my son's birthday cake, Andy's room from toy story. I am going to make the bed, toy box and block letters out of fruity pebbles(my son is gluten free so I can't use rice krispies) covered in MMF. My problem lies in how to do the sheet cake for the floor. I plan on using gluten free flour but can't decide what type of cake would be best and if I should slice it in half and add a filling. He wants a pink cake, doesn't mean strawberry just has to be pink. Would pound cake work with a filling and then covered in MMF with the bed and decorations on top?? Could I add strawberry jello mix to the pound cake batter to make it pink and add some extra flavor??? What kind of filling would I use since I can't put the cake in the fridge??

Thanks in advance for the help

1 reply
honeylambbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeylambbakery Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 2

my daughter is gluten free also....I find the gluten free flour mixture has to be perfect or you will get a rock or a brownie....I actually use the Betty Crocker gluten free mixes, they are perfect and moist - 1 box only does a 9" cake though.....I use wilton gel color in my cakes to add color, I just did a pink marble that came out really cute.....you can use buttercream frosting between the layers - which does not need refrigeration - I have a great recipe that stands up pretty well to the heat of the kitchen shelf...you could also melt pink mini marshmallows for the filling, which kids will love - just be sure to use a syrup treatment on the layers so it doesn't get smooshy....hopefully helpful, Tedra.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%