What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By seeshores Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 3:43am by seeshores

seeshores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seeshores Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 15

I stacked a cake and when I went to put the tiers together my cake boards between the layers were just a soggy mess and didn't stand up enough to hold the tiers firm.

14 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 15

I cover my cardboard cake boards with Glad Press and Seal. Keeps them from becoming soggy.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 15

Mine have always had a bit of grease seep into them, but never to the point that they wouldn't hold up. I like Occther's idea. I might have to use that as a preventative measure! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 15

I always use 1/2 " foamcore and cover it with Press-N-Seal or cake foil. I never refrigerate my cakes.

Double your cake board and then seal both sides.

Hope this helps.

seeshores Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:32am
post #5 of 15

What a great idea.....thank you

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #6 of 15

Iuse cardboards all the time and that never happens.

What kind of cardboards did you use? Were they actual cake rounds or did you cut them from the leftover pizza box (hey, really! I've seen posting from folks who do that! icon_lol.gif ) If they were actual cake cardboards, were they wax coated or plain? What are you calling "soggy mess"? ..... discolored with moisture? they seemed wet to touch? They disintegrated when you picked them up?

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 15

I had this happen as well, but after I had done the stacking, I used cake boards but I guess they may not have been waxed. It ended up that the dowels just pushed through the board above and the cake pushed down on itself. It was a topsy turvy and just for fun, so no big deal, but a learning experience.

I am still just a hobbiest and have not had a chance to try a stacked cake again, but will definitely try the press and seal.

RanLor2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RanLor2000 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #8 of 15

I love the foam boards and use foil coverings then I put the decorative coverings on them. The foam is so stable, just love them!

seeshores Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:27am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Iuse cardboards all the time and that never happens.

What kind of cardboards did you use? Were they actual cake rounds or did you cut them from the leftover pizza box (hey, really! I've seen posting from folks who do that! icon_lol.gif ) If they were actual cake cardboards, were they wax coated or plain? What are you calling "soggy mess"? ..... discolored with moisture? they seemed wet to touch? They disintegrated when you picked them up?

yes it was a cake board but not waxed( comes in a package of 10 round) it was really wet and soggy to the touch but did not disintegrate.

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:44am
post #10 of 15

I'm wondering more about the cake than the board! Why would a cake have so much liquid that it would make the board soggy? Just curious...

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel5370

I'm wondering more about the cake than the board! Why would a cake have so much liquid that it would make the board soggy? Just curious...

I'm with you on this icon_confused.gif I've used waxed and by mistake bought the unwaxed...still I have NEVER had an issue with a cardboard cake board getting so soggy that it compromised the structure of my cake. I've never actually had one to get soggy...maybe a grease spot or two but never soggy...icon_eek.gif Just makes ya wonder.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:55am
post #12 of 15

i also atest to the foam core boards wrapped in press-n-seal. since ive been using this technique i never have any problems.
i probably just jinx myself-but so far so good! for bigger cakes i double my foam core.
good luck-

seeshores Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:48pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

It was a BC cake mix made the way the box said and it was indydebi buttercream icing so I don't know what could have gone wrong the bride said that cake tasted great.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeshores

Quote:

It was a BC cake mix made the way the box said and it was indydebi buttercream icing so I don't know what could have gone wrong the bride said that cake tasted great.

Did you flip the cakes onto the board straight out of the oven?

seeshores Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:43am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeshores

Quote:

Did you flip the cakes onto the board straight out of the oven?

No I let them cool on a cooking rack the whole day then froze them then thawed them in the fridge a whole day then brought them to room temp for 8 hours them put on cakeboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%