My Icing Wouldn't Stick To The Cake!?!?

Baking By DeezTreatz Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 11:36pm by DeezTreatz

DeezTreatz Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 9

This is the first time this has ever happened... but maybe its the new recipe I tried?

I was icing my cake after I carved the ends off (First time I've done that as well) And none of the icing would stick to the sides of the cake.. it was just crumbling off.. icon_sad.gif literally the icing was falling off the cake! LOL
I tried this new recipe too and I found to be a bit stiff... but I was scared to add too much water. I did add a few more tsp then it called for but still so stiff! ... sad face. lol

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup crisco
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups icing sugar
2 tsp water or milk

8 replies
kansaslaura Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 9

Add more liquid, it's hard to get icing to adhere to cut cake, --at least crumb coat it in a soft frosting, finish up with a stiffer if you like.

Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 9

Yeah what she said. thumbs_up.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 9

Ok.. more water - no carving lol
Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 9

Just another question... how much more water (tsp wise) should I add for a thin consistency? I don't want it to go too thin!

kansaslaura Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 9

Hard for me to say without actually seeing the frosting. Just add it slowly, a teaspoon at a time until you get a softer, more spreadable consistancy.

cake-angel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezdelights

This is the first time this has ever happened... but maybe its the new recipe I tried?

I was icing my cake after I carved the ends off (First time I've done that as well) And none of the icing would stick to the sides of the cake.. it was just crumbling off.. icon_sad.gif literally the icing was falling off the cake! LOL
I tried this new recipe too and I found to be a bit stiff... but I was scared to add too much water. I did add a few more tsp then it called for but still so stiff! ... sad face. lol

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup crisco
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups icing sugar
2 tsp water or milk

This recipe looks to be misprinted. It is actually the one I use most often. If you were to add 2 tablespoons instead of 2 teaspoons that should give you Stiff consistancy icing, add another 2.5 teaspoons to the full batch to make it medium and another 2.5 teaspoons after that to make thin consistancy. (ratio for thinning after making stiff consistancy is 1 tsp water or milk per cup of icing - recipe as written makes approximately 2.5 cups of icing per batch.)

cake-angel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 9

Also remember that this is the general guideline. Humidy and moisture content in the butter can affect the amount of moistre you need to add. You should be fairly safe with the 2 TBSP though as where I am I often need to add 1 extra due to dry climate.

DeezTreatz Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys... I thought the recipe tasted very good though! I will do 2-3 tablespoons next time! It is pretty dry here, so that probably doesn't help either! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%