Im New To Cake Bakeing, I Have Alot Of ?'s

Decorating By bluerose26 Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 1:23am by bluerose26

bluerose26 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 12

Is this the kind of fondant you use to make cakes smooth looking ? on link
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=bk0404

Do you use a flat fondant smoother or a one that rolls? like one on links

(Flatone) http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=bk0401

(rolling one) http://www.acmoore.com/p-82283-fondant-roller-1pkg-.aspx

where can i but a bigger roller to roll out fondant for the top/main part of the cake? one bigger then a 6x4 (the one on the link is a 6x4)

I am wanting to make the princess cake like the one in the photo on my photos called princess cake for my daughters 2nd birthday on sept 26th

Also where can i buy the letter shape thing to make the letters like on the cake.

Any other tips are appreciated, thanks

11 replies
KonfectionKonnection Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 12

OK--let me see if I can answer your questions. Yes, you can use either the Duff brand of fondant or Wilton is also available and easy to get.

The flat smoother will help you smooth the fondant on the cake. The little roller is more for rolling out small sections for cut-out pieces, for instance.

Wilton makes a longer roller, 22 inches I believe, which is white and works really well--but I sometimes use my mom's old wooden one (like I use when making cookies)--and it does fine, if you already have one like that that you use.

The letters are cut out of fondant then attached with either vanilla extract or lemon extract (so it will dry quickly and not make the fondant soggy). I have a small set of alphabet cutters that are Wilton that I got at Michael's. I think they would be the right size for this.

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions, I would be glad to help! Good luck w/ your cake!

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 12

Yes..that's the type of fondant you use. Actually any fondant will produce the smooth look on a cake if it's done properly.

Wilton also sells a large rolling pin for fondant. I bought mine at Wal-Mart for about $16.00. I also have a PVC pipe rolling pin that's about 26" long that I paid like $3.00 for. You can have them cut it to whatever size you like at the hardware store.

You can buy Wilton alphabet cutters at Michael's but the other alphabet cutters that I've found I had to order online.

I would suggest that you watch some tutorials on youtube.."how to cover a cake with fondant" "how to stack a cake" etc. They helped me very much. This site has been the most helpful to me.

thumbs_up.gif

Kibosh Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 12

Ditto icon_smile.gif

But just so you know, the cake in your picture doesn`t look to be fondant covered. Looks like buttercream.

And also, incase you didn`t know, Michaels also sells that princess cake kit. Not sure what comes in it, but perhaps someone on here will chime in on that one.

This looks like it will be fun to do, and when you make your own fun cake for your kids b-day, it makes it all the more special.

Have fun and welcome to cake decorating icon_biggrin.gif

katibeth88 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 12

Kibosh, is this what you're talking about? http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=301-910

I've seen it too and considered using it on a cake before my cousin changed her mind on the theme icon_smile.gif

It's called "Romantic Castle Cake Set. Seems like the top part of the towers could be made from ice cream cones though huh? And I agree it looks like buttercream rather than fondant.

bluerose26 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibosh

Ditto icon_smile.gif

But just so you know, the cake in your picture doesn`t look to be fondant covered. Looks like buttercream.

And also, incase you didn`t know, Michaels also sells that princess cake kit. Not sure what comes in it, but perhaps someone on here will chime in on that one.

This looks like it will be fun to do, and when you make your own fun cake for your kids b-day, it makes it all the more special.

Have fun and welcome to cake decorating icon_biggrin.gif

I dont know the difference between buttercream and fondant.

kansaslaura Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 12

If you're so new that you don't know the difference between buttercream and fondant, the cake you would like to make for your daughter's b'day is really not the place to start. I'd suggest taking the begining Wilton class. Check with the Michaels, Hobby Lobby or somewhere like that in your area, and good luck!

bluerose26 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

If you're so new that you don't know the difference between buttercream and fondant, the cake you would like to make for your daughter's b'day is really not the place to start. I'd suggest taking the begining Wilton class. Check with the Michaels, Hobby Lobby or somewhere like that in your area, and good luck!

I said I was new to using fondant on a cake, I didnt say I was new to makeing cakes. This isnt my first cake. But thanks for the advice.

kellikrause Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 12

Fondant to me is like chewing on play dough. I don't care for the texture at all but if you need it, it's cheap and easy to make if you try marshmallow fondant. The recipe is on here (MMF). Buttercream is much better tasting and easy to smooth is you use a crusting recipe and viva paper towels. Tonedna on youtube has some really great tutorials on this so check them out, she really is great!! Good luck and have fun icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I said I was new to using fondant on a cake, I didnt say I was new to makeing cakes. This isnt my first cake. But thanks for the advice.

ummm.... The subject line for your thread is : Im new to cake bakeing, I have alot of ?'s so that pretty much tells me you're new to cake baking.....

JulieMN Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Okay....buttercream is frosting/icing. There are many different varieties. There are a lot of great buttercream recipes on this site. Wilton also sells it in tubs/buckets.

Fondant is a rolled covering for cakes. It can be purchased in tubs/buckets like one of your original links....or you can make it from scratch (again, several great recipes on this site). Fondant is usually applied to the cake over a light coating of buttercream or ganache.

bluerose26 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:23am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMN

Quote:

Okay....buttercream is frosting/icing. There are many different varieties. There are a lot of great buttercream recipes on this site. Wilton also sells it in tubs/buckets.

Fondant is a rolled covering for cakes. It can be purchased in tubs/buckets like one of your original links....or you can make it from scratch (again, several great recipes on this site). Fondant is usually applied to the cake over a light coating of buttercream or ganache.

are there any fondant recipes that you have made and like from this website that you would recommend?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%