How Do You Make A Wave Border With Fondant?

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm by grossoutqueen

grossoutqueen Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 11

How do you make a wave border with fondant? How do you get it uniform so that each wave is the same?

I can't find a picture but I mean when you roll the fondant out flat like you would to make a "ribbon" border, and you scallop it/cut it to make waves?

10 replies
drakegore Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 11

i suspect if you want uniform cresting waves you have to make a template and cut by hand unless there is a cricut option for you.

i did this for waves last week and it was really simple and looks better with the waves not being all the same. i still made a template for cutting but i was able to cut with a rotary cutter so i had nice clean edges.

diane
LL

grossoutqueen Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 11

The cake is beautiful! Great job thumbs_up.gif

I was talking about the cresting waves and I guess making a template is a good idea. I just hope I can even draw them uniform icon_rolleyes.gif

If that doesn't work I could do the kind you did. They look nice too!

mandymakescakes Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossoutqueen

I just hope I can even draw them uniform

Find a template - Google "rolling wave color page" and select "images" from the top left. Search to your heart's content for the one you like best. I add "color/coloring page" to a lot of cake theme items to find templates... works every time! icon_lol.gif

drakegore Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:24am
post #5 of 11

i do that too! i love the "coloring pages" on the web. when you make a lot of kids cakes they especially come in handy.

diane

Apti Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #6 of 11

grossoutqueen, I just PM'd a member, Pattiverde, to see how she did her perfect waves and she said she rolled out the fondant strip and then used one half of a heart cutter. I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years! Once she told me, I can think of a zillion applications.

Here's a link to her cake picture:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1742862

I don't know enough about computers and how to use this forum to actually show the picture, perhaps someone else could do this?

By the way, is there any kind of instructional something telling computer illiterates like me how to use this forum?

drakegore Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

grossoutqueen, I just PM'd a member, Pattiverde, to see how she did her perfect waves and she said she rolled out the fondant strip and then used one half of a heart cutter. I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years! Once she told me, I can think of a zillion applications.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1742862

what a fabulous idea!

cutthecake Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 11

How do you make the scallopped fondant that seems to lay on top of the cake, with the scallops falling over the sides? It looks like the fondant is one piece and the scallops are around the cake. How do you apply such a piece without stretching it out of shape, if you cut it first?

drakegore Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 11

hi cuthecake,
are you asking me (i meant about the cake pictured above)?
diane

DianeLM Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 11

You can make your template just like making paper dolls. Cut a strip of paper the circumfrence of your cake. Fold it in half, then half again, etc. until the paper is the size of one crested wave. Cut out your one wave. Unroll the paper and there ya have it!

grossoutqueen Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I don't know enough about computers and how to use this forum to actually show the picture, perhaps someone else could do this?

By the way, is there any kind of instructional something telling computer illiterates like me how to use this forum?

Too funny. Before I read your post I PM'd her because I fell in LOVE with her cake and she gave me the same advice. I even wrote back word for word that I never would have thought of that in a million yearsicon_smile.gif What a great idea that saves me a ton of work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%