How To Get Non Domed Cuppies, And Covering Technique?

Baking By frogcooke Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 12:14am by Joyfull4444

frogcooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogcooke Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 4

I was looking around a few places and saw some really nice cupcakes, But I have no idea what kind of frosting/covering technique they used. Looks like a poured covering? Im guessing could be a poured fondant or something kind of icing? What kind of thin icing would you used for a domed one to make it smooth.

Also I'm wondering about those types of cupcakes that dont dome and only come up about 2/3 the way of the liner?? How exactly does that work? I know some of them were made with mud cake recipe per caption, but would that make a difference?

Ive never really made cupcakes beyond the usual slather bucket icing on them and eat.
LL
LL
LL

3 replies
Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 4

Hi frogcooke, the cupcake examples you're showing look to be some with fondant cut outs for toppers & the others poured fondant.

Heres a link to a cupcake decorating tutorial on how to do poured fondant, as well as other helpful hints on decorating cuppies. Its a good website to put in your faves.

I'm linking you to part 2. There's a link to part 1 & 3 also.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cupcake-decorating-part-2

As for the domes or humps on your cuppies, try not to overfill your pans next time you bake and see if that will take care of them. Tryfilling 1/2 full only..
Myself I like the looks of a small dome plus it gives me more decorating room!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

frogcooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogcooke Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 4

Yeah i like the the small dome as well. But i was curious how they got them so flat or not filled. haha. probably not as much filling in the cups then.

I was reading around the site and noticed some cake recipes dont rise as much as other. wondering if that is why some of the cuppies do and dont rise as much.

I'll go take a look at that link. Theres so much info to absorb on this site. LOL I've been poking around for a few days already.

ETA: that site you linked is awesome!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:14am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogcooke

Yeah i like the the small dome as well. But i was curious how they got them so flat or not filled. haha. probably not as much filling in the cups then.

I was reading around the site and noticed some cake recipes dont rise as much as other. wondering if that is why some of the cuppies do and dont rise as much.

I'll go take a look at that link. Theres so much info to absorb on this site. LOL I've been poking around for a few days already.

ETA: that site you linked is awesome!

Glad I could help! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%