Hi ~
What's with so many cakes being photographed at a tilt? icon_eek.gif
I don't think it enhances a cake to see it ''tipping over''! thumbsdown.gif
Personally, I prefer to see a cake upright so I can really enjoy
it's look & the work that went into it. thumbs_up.gif

26 replies
costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 27

The original cake probably wasn't upright, so they photograph it at an angle to deemphasize that fact that it was crooked.

Or they just think it's "Artistic" which is a load, but some people just want to feel special...

gourmetsharon Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 27

or to fit it into the picture. some are very tall!

kansaslaura Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 27

Beats me, but I don't like it either... anymore than I want to crank my head sideways to look at a picture someone couldn't bother to flip.

Cindy619 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 27

Or maybe its because their DD is a graphic designer and likes to take pics at every angle possible. Why? Because you just never know what you might use the pics for icon_wink.gif

Aeropanda Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 27

Some people think it's artistic. Some of my pics were taken by a good friend that does photography for a hobby, and she does those funny things with pictures. Just depends on taste. I do a portfolio of all my cakes and make a collage from different shots. I have to be honest though, while I like many of her photos, most of my portfolio collages end up with the straight photos!

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 27

when we got married 20+ years ago, hubby wanted to use this one photographer. And he was a good one. Well known. LOTS of national awards. But I didn't like his style. Too bad. Hubby wanted this one, so lik the wonderfully compromising person I am (yeah, it's ok to laugh!) I gave in.

My wedding photos are examples of artsy-fartsy crap! I wanted documentation of my wedding. I did NOT want a collection of photos that showed how talented and artsy the photographer was! I absolutely hate every photo we have. (Not to worry ..... in 20+ years I've had AMPLE opportunity to point out why he's not allowed to make major decisions anymore! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif )

So the photographer thinks the photo looks artsy. Big whoop. That only matters to other photographers. Everyone else wants to be able to see the photo .... with OUT hurting their neck!

thatslifeca Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #8 of 27

I'm curious, what's artistic about taking a photo on an angle? I don't think it makes the picture look better. icon_confused.gif I don't think it even covers up the fact that the cake is still tilting.

Loucinda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #9 of 27

I have seen some that have been taken at that angle to hide a flaw in the cake too. Makes me look close at some of them to see if I can see why. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

The original cake probably wasn't upright, so they photograph it at an angle to deemphasize that fact that it was crooked.

icon_redface.gif Guilty as charged! And I was sentenced to rolling hundreds of fondant balls for my crime.

The only slanted photo in my pics is my daughter's birthday cake; I had the worst time with it and my bottom tier wasn't level. I ended up with a huge gap between the 2 tiers to give the ILLUSION of levelness. I had to keep piling on the balls on the border to hide it icon_lol.gif.

reginaherrin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 27

I hate when the picture is tilted as well. I totally makes me think there is a flaw in the cake and I never get the total image of a cake when it is tilted so it doesn't make sense to take the picture that way.

step0nmi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 27

i don't even look at the tilted photos icon_razz.gif

paulina69 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #13 of 27

It's just maybe they wanted to take a picture of the whole cake (esp. if it's tall) or the one who took it doesn't know how to make their pics look good. If the view is tilted, they can always rotate the picture when they plan to upload it online. It's just common sense actually, who would want to look at a pic when all you get is your neck stiffed. LOL!

emrldsky Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #14 of 27

If I find that the picture I took was titled, I use photoshop to tilt it back. icon_smile.gif I don't care for the crooked picture either.

cakes47 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 27

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in not
liking ''tipping'' cakes!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 27

What I'm reading here, in the majority of posts, is that a tilted cake photo is code for "I screwed up this cake and don't want you to be able to tell, so I'm taking a wonky picture to try to hide the flaw!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakes47 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 27

I think you are sooooooo right!!! LOL

tmgarcia_98 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #18 of 27

I made a perfectly straight cake for my uncle's wedding, but when we got the pictures back.....tilted cake! The biggest problem was, it was just tilted enough where you had to wonder IF the photog was being artsy, or if the cake was leaning!

I hated it, so I photoshopped it and made it perfectly straight....like the real thing!

4realLaLa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #19 of 27

I'm not a fan either. I always wonder if the cake itself is leaning or if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Doug Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #20 of 27

a) photographer hit open bar first and was running on tilt?

b) has wonky sense of balance?

c) one arm shorter than the other so has to hold camera at slant to be able to both hold and hit shutter button?

d) has bad astigmatism and needs glasses?

e) thinks being "artsy" when really being "fartsy"?

-----

use a tripod that has been checked with a level!

7yyrt Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:53am
post #21 of 27

Perhaps they just wanted to be talked about.

LNW Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #22 of 27

I take awful photographs so if mine are tilted it's because I stink with cameras. I'm pretty bad with the zoom feature too. At least I can manage to avoid taking pictures of headless people, unlike my MIL. I can always tell when she's been using my digital camera at parties.

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:49am
post #23 of 27

I emailed a photographer friend of mine, who told me his brides like the artsy stuff, but if he has a cake person ask him to take a good photo of the cake, he'll do a good documented photo for them. He says, "It all depends on who's asking me and what they want."

Rylan Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:17am
post #24 of 27

Hahaha you are all hilarious! For some reason, I really like taking pictures in an angle--sometimes it looks really nice when done the right way.

7yyrt Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:34am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNW

I take awful photographs so if mine are tilted it's because I stink with cameras. I'm pretty bad with the zoom feature too. At least I can manage to avoid taking pictures of headless people, unlike my MIL. I can always tell when she's been using my digital camera at parties.

My pictures are almost always fuzzy.
I never have learned how to use these new-fangled things.

erinalicia Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:48am
post #26 of 27

the one that I have that is tilted is the picture I got from the customer who is a photographer. My picture looked horrible, but it's there in my pictures too.

cakes47 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:14pm
post #27 of 27

LOL icon_biggrin.gif Leave it to you, Doug, to come up with reasons like that!! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%