Birthday Cake For Dad

Decorating By LaDe Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm by yummy

LaDe Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 3

My dad was the first person to ask me to make him a cake for his birthday after I started the Wilton cake classes. I'm doing rather well, but this would only be my second cake that I have actually made FOR someone. I wanted to do a Disney Tarzan cake using fondant. I'm just not sure where I should start. Any ideas?

2 replies
yums Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 3

Well, I would start with how many servings and shape of cake. I think with a sheet cake or a tiered cake the designs would very different. Also, think of what you want to emphasize. Did you search the web and galleries for ideas?

yummy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 3

Welcome to CC.

Have you ever worked with fondant? Do you want to make Tarzan out of fondant or put fondant on the cake? If you never used it and have enough time to practice I would suggest that. Some members here have tried for months and years and still can't get the hang of it.

There are several mmf (marshmellow fondant) recipes on this site. One very popular recipe is Rhondas Ultimate Fondant.

Another popular fondant recipe is MFF (Michele Fosters Fondant, the updated version). This is not a marshmellow fondant it's a homemade fondant recipe that Michele came up with.

It's cheaper to make your own. Just follow the instructions to the letter and you shouldn't have any problems, humidity might play a part in your fondant not cooperating so you have to learn how to make the neccessary adjustments to get the right consistency. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%